Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a local shop today. They are just starting out but I have heard a few goods things about them. One being that their prices are affordable because they are just starting off. The estimate was $2300 and includes stripping, base/clear coating. It includes all body work with me giving them the hood and trunk so they do not have to rework them, blocked and sanded. This estimate is half that of the prison estimate and almost 1/3rd of the other shops in the area. I will be getting references and visibly checking their work before I make a final decision. Plus she stated that they would have it done within the month. I am willing to pay them more so they can take their time with it. I told her I did not want it rushed. I will have to make my decision after talking to her references.

·
Registered
858 Posts
be VERY careful about shops like that....they may be affordable...but ask to talk to some previous customers and check out their cars if possible...i went to 1 such body guy in my town...my friend worked at the shop, and he was pretty affordable too, about the same price...but it was body work like...door panels, new floor pans...trunk, etc....he did a HORRIBLE job, he didnt even do the floor pans correctly!!! :: i will NEVER go back to that 1\2 @ss shoddy body guy again!!! :: i dont own the car anymore...but he's pure crap when it comes to older cars. plus i had to lie to him so i could get him to work faster

·
Registered
858 Posts
1 other thing...not sure if u have a place called 1 day paint and auto body in ur area...but i may visit them for my next car to get painted...i talked to johnpro, and he had about 5 cars done there, all pretty good he says and really good for a daily driver...plus their VERY VERY affordable...
http://www.1daypaint.com/1daypaintsystems.html

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If your bodywork is very minor, yes, it COULD fall into that range for a basic paintjob. From what your post reads, they will strip and/or block sand, perform any minor body repairs, install your hood and trunk panels, then prime and paint.

This however sounds like a 4-5k paint job. So I would check references (which you are doing), get in writing specifically what work they will perform, hours spent on each phase, (in estimate form), noted body repairs on the estimate, brand/type of primer and paint. Will they be painting any door jambs or underneath panels, or just exterior surfaces?

An itemized list of work to be performed and the hours estimated for those tasks will help keep them honest on workmanship and reduce the chance of them coming to you when the project is halfway through asking for more $$ to finish because they miscalculated their labor. Hours multiplied by the shop rate will be critical. Paint and supplies are easy to estimate, time is more subjective.

However, if this shop is a collision repair center, it will be fairly straightforward for them to estimate body and paint hours since they have to do this same process for insurance claims. There are reference guides the insurance and body shop industry uses to write estimates on various car models, so this is not foreign stuff for any shop.

Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I got a quote from a body shop that paints corvettes (religiously). They quoted me a stage 2 paint job with minor body work for $1500

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
thats a pretty good quote, IF they do quality work, thats what its all about anyways......there is one of those sorta one day paint shops around here that goes by a different name... and they are also pretty good for daily drivers. i had some body work and my car painted there a few years ago for around 2k. i didnt want to spend TOO much on the paint bc i drive the car 365 days a year , and i didnt see the point in tossing6 or 7k at something that is going to get dings and such and not be a show car EVER.... they did a pretty good job, and after 3 years or so the paint STILl looks good, holds a great deep shine, and people always compliment me on the car.. little do they know it was painted at one of those quickie places haha... by the way its wimbledon white with blut Gt stripes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts