Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not having much luck with the search feature. I'm sure this has been discussed, but I should do a few small projects this winter to keep me motivated. I need to touch up the fender emblems on my '65 I6 coupe. Which red, white, blue, and black paints would you recommend for a correct and durable finish?

Can I use the same red and black on the "FORD" and "MUSTANG" in my steering wheel and gas cap? It sounds like a stupid question to me, because I am 99% sure that I can. Who would ever tell the difference? However, I want my car to appear stock as much as possible. Also, on the gas cap, is the "FORD" lettering painted black? There is no trace of color left on mine, and just a small amount of red in the "MUSTANG" lettering.

The colors on the fender emblems seem to have a bit of metallic in them. I don't want to paint them a flat color. What is correct?

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I use "Testors" enamels they have a good variation in copors and match up to the O/E very closely.
They also have the "International Orange" that is used to touch up the instrument needles.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
+1 on Testors!

*Also check out their "Model Master" series.

Believe it or not, The Testors enamel seems to wear and last forever!

If I am not correct, The Red and Blue colors were kind of Translucent colors on a Original Emblem.

*Tips- When painting gas cap or emblems. Have a bottle of Ronson Lighter fluid handy to wipe off any excess, and some #0000 Steel wool... +1 (Ok, I'm an old Model car Builder.. The jig is up!).

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on Testors!

*Also check out their "Model Master" series.

Believe it or not, Thet Testors enamel seems to wear and last forever!

If I am not correct, The Red and Blue colors were kind of Translucent colors on a Original Emblem.

*Tips- When painting gas cap or emblems. Have a bottle of Ronson Lighter fluid handy to wipe off any excess, and some #0000 Steel wool... +1 (Ok, I'm an old Model car Builder.. The jig is up!).
Thanks. I'm not a model builder so that is why I don't know where any hobby stores are. Time to start looking.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I have nearly new reproduction emblems and the paint is a little metallic or tanslucent. It is already coming off of them. I would like to touch them up and have it look like that. I don't know if the Testors will do that or not.

I have been told that these are the Testors paint colors to get.

Red 1103
White 1145
Blue 1110

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes. Those are the basic colors and can pick them up in Walmart in a paint kit....+1 for Walmart..

If you really live in the boonies, You can just goto Welcome to Testors and order whatever you want.. I have done this in the past for certian paints that I can't find locally at my local hobby shops..

Welcome to Testors

Testors has been around for over 50 years.... Pactra was their main competition in the 1960's and 1970's until Testor's bought them out...They still sell some small paint kits under the old "Pactra" name. .....then came Tamiya in the late 60's...

Tamiya has excellent paints too...but are hard to find... You can get them on the web.

Hope this all helps.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WalMart sucks. They didn't have anything close to a good paint product. The WM in my area went downhill after becoming a "super" WM. Even the class of the customers went down a few notches. I'm done with WM. They never have anything that I need. So much crap in that store and they still don't have shi*t.

I have a friend who used to build model airplanes (the ones that fly) along with building cars. He could tell me where a good hobby store is. I would rather not pay for shipping.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I agree with that. When our WalMart was the little brown/tan one it was 10 times better than it is now as the super gray/blue one. I rarely go there any more.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The friend that I mentioned earlier took me to a local hobby shop. They had the correct Testors red and blue shades mentioned earlier but I could only get flat black (1149) and flat white (1168). Flat black works well, but it could be slightly shinier. However, I think that it would be a good color match for the black circles in the steering wheel spokes.

After removing the running horse fender emblems, I can see that they are older Scott Drake repros. Since new ones are only $6.25 each, I will turn these old ones into magnets instead of painting them.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
i did these for my 69. i've been told the colors aren't correct and i have seen pictures of some of them looking translucent. the colors i used are solid.

red: 1103
white: 1145
blue: 1111

1 - 15 of 15 Posts