Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old syphen feed paint gun that i am using to prime my car with. its not a good gun, and its about 20 years old. anyways, sometimes it works just fine, and other times it will "surge", ie, it will paint for 1/2 a seccond than stop for 1/2 a seccond, than paint for 1/2 a seccond, etc... I can't figure out what it is? I've tried playing with the pressure to no avail. It will do this with straight laquer thiner, so it is not because the paint mix is too thick. Also, the fullness of the paint can seems to have no bearing on when it does this. anyone know why it does this and how i can fix it?

thanks
- Jason

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My experience is that it is a air leak where the fluid nozzle screws into the gun. Check that it is tight. If it still does the spitting thing then try teflon tape on the threads. I even test with water in the gun as it is much cleaner to work with. John

PS With further thought I want to tell you that air pressure under the air cap can get past those threads on the fluid nozzle and get into the paint path(where the needle is). Thats why it spits then sprays then spits. Can't handle even a small air leak into that small low pressure paint path. John

·
Registered
607 Posts
Also check the vent on the cup and make sure its not clogged. And finally, check the packing on the fluid needle. It should be right above you fingers when holding the gun normally. Make sure it's tight and the gasket is good.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Have you tried soaking the gun (apart) overnight? Could be a speck of paint somewhere. I soak my guns in gun cleaner overnight to soften & remove paint that has found it's way into small hidden places. Then blow it out the next day with air. Then run reducer thru it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts