Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`am having a one man body and paint shop do the finish work on bare metal and paint. He finished the fenders , doors, front and rear valences, and stone deflector ten days ago. I had to reject the doors, (dings not taken out)fenders (one not completly painted the other had small ding that he said he would take care of and did`nt. Today I picked up the car minus the above part. Is better than i expected , but not as good as I had hoped. Heres the big problem, he wants me to put it all together then he will buff it out to the shine he says it will have. I don`nt want to put all the crome and emblems on before its buffed. Question is can I buff it myself (no knowlege)? He says their is a clear coat on it, color is black. I need to know what materials and tools I need.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I hate buffing! I'd rather paint 10 cars than buff one. You'll need a buffer $200-300, pads & buffing liquid. There are several different types of pads & compounds, depends on what the buffing guy prefers. Any it being black makes it even harder. Let someone with some experence do it. Burning thru the new paint is NOT a good thing & it can happen in a split second.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It would be much safer having the color sanding and buffing done by a pro. I definately would rather buff the pieces un- assembled without any chrome, or mouldings ( less chance the edge of the buffing pad will " catch" and cause a disaster), but it can be done if extremely careful. After reading your post, I am thankful I found Norm, the guy who is doing the bodywork and paint on my coupe. Check out this guy's work , he is an artist.
http://wildingautomotive.com
good luck.
Dennis

·
Registered
785 Posts
There is no need to put all the chrome and emblems on the car before it is buffed. If he wants it all together does he just mean the doors and fenders and valances?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Harbor Freight has the makita 9227c buffer on sale for $159! This is probably the best variable speed buffer buffer made.
If you have a nice small orbit DA sander, you can use some finishing film and have the finish sanded in a couple of hours versus a day or two doing it by hand.
I agree though, it needs to be buffed before the mouldings go on, but after fenders and other sheetmetal are on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts