Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully painted their headliner? Mine is in great shape but discolored in a few places. I am changing the interior and want to change the color a bit. It is the light blue (almost white) and I want to make it a very light gray. Suggestions on paint?

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Should be able to find some vinyl paint, but it may reak for a while. Don't know if there is a dye you could spray on. Maybe you could use a sponge and dab on some type of dye, gotta be something available. I think that's what I would try and do. Someone else must know a better way. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I'd use the vinyl dye if you really want to try it, but I've never known anyone to successfully paint their headliner and have it look worth a damn afterwards. And some of these people are pretty talented restorers.

Perhaps you'd do a better job, but new headliners are relatively cheap....

Steve

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I had a fastback many years ago that had a torn headliner. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time - I just wanted the car to look better than it did! So, I actually patched the tears with fiberglass, and gently sanded the lumps smooth. Niiiiice! I followed that up with a shot of white Krylon (the headliner had been black), and I thought I was a custom interior professional!

While I would never condone such a patch today, the paint actually worked quite well. It may have taken a couple coats; but it covered completely and never flaked off. I can only imagine what the next owner had to say about my methods!

So, in answer to your question - sure, paint it! You never really touch the headliner to speak of; and light coats shouldn't fill in the moon texture.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I painted my headliner with pearl white spraycan. Not even the vinyl paint. It was also good except the white had stains & discolored. I taped up the windows etc & sprayed away. Turned out looking like a new one!
Check it out...
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek/imag0018.jpg

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Eastwood"s sells SEM vinyl products that I have used on my rear quarter trim, crash pad, and steering wheel and they really look good. CLEAN the hell out anything you do or you will have to do it twice. you may be able to find better pjrices than Eastwood but it only takes can or so to do a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts