Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So my car is finally at its final stages and is currently at the body shop. They are about a month away from paint and I am looking for some ideas. I was intrigued by the Eleanor paint scheme but am thinking a darker grey may look better on the car along with double black stripes downthe center. Does anyone have pictures of their cars resembling this paint scheme with the paint information?

Also, I am having the dash and door panels repainted and am wondering if anybody can tell me what kind of black I need to get?

I have attached a couple pictures with some progress.

Thanks!

IMG_1444.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
That's a very subjective question. I, for example, don't like gray, silver or gold on a classic Mustang. Of course, other people love it. I, for example, don't think Eleanor stripes look quite right on a coupe. Other people love it.

So, if you're asking for opinions, obviously, I'm not going to like gray with Eleanor stripes for your car. But it's your car. Ask yourself what you like and go with that. Try to look at some Mustangs like yours. Pictures help, but there's nothing like seeing cars in the real world.

Yeah, attending shows is kinda tough here in February, but paint is a big commitment and you want to be sure. Perhaps there's a car museum with Mustangs near you? Maybe attend a local Mustang club meeting?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Red - because there aren't enough of those >:)

But seriously, as was stated this is very subjective. If you lean towards the grey spectrum, your car, do what pleases you. Myself, I lean towards the greens and light blue range.

Now if you are going to re-sell, then that's another whole can of worms.

Best of luck

John

·
Dimples
3,757 Posts
Agreed, too subjective to answer.

I personally am fed up with that whore Eleanor so I’d never paint a car that scheme.

Additionally, though my last 4 Mustangs were black and my current one is too (and I still love it) I’m done with black cars. Next one will have some color.

·
Registered
611 Posts
For me it also depends what you want to do with the car. Do you want to keep an original touch? Or upgrade it with modern technology? Original touch -> stock color, if not, do what ever you like most.
Just my 5 cents

·
Registered
822 Posts
I despise stripes on mustangs that weren't shelby cars. Even the clones rub me the wrong way. It seems everyone and their dog has stripes now. Many are poorly done too. Maybe thats why I don't care for it? It looks even weirder on coupes. I'd personally much rather see a unique original color (even if it's not original to the car) any day of the week. I actually passed on about a dozen clean coupes because they had goofy stripes.

Ford has a lot of cool colours and colour combos in 65/66. I really dig the silver on red interior or springtime yellow, ivy green, emberglo, Arcadian and caspian blue! Tropical turquoise! Heck even vintage burgundy looks good. My car is silver blue on lt blue and white interior and it is in my humble opinion a fantastic combo. Gets comments everywhere I go. usually 'wow I didn't know they came in such a pretty interior color'.

My dad said it best when I was looking 'there are more red mustangs than ford ever built'. Might soon apply to grey cars

But as many have said, do whatever you want, it is your car. But, if you don't plan on keeping it a long time, there are many like me, who won't buy it if it's painted up as an eleanor.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I say you paint it whichever way you really want it. Don't let somebody talk you into some boring stock paint color or scheme. It's your car, you are building it for yourself to enjoy, not for somebody else. Don't settle on someone else's opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I like just about anything blue but I’m slightly biased. I also love the Eleanor color and car in general but not sure how I’d feel about it on a 65/66 coupe. I really like the opposite paint scheme on the Eleanor though. Really dark grey, almost black, with light grey racing stripes. Pretty sleek looking IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey guys,

So my car is finally at its final stages and is currently at the body shop. They are about a month away from paint and I am looking for some ideas. I was intrigued by the Eleanor paint scheme but am thinking a darker grey may look better on the car along with double black stripes downthe center. Does anyone have pictures of their cars resembling this paint scheme with the paint information?

Also, I am having the dash and door panels repainted and am wondering if anybody can tell me what kind of black I need to get?

I have attached a couple pictures with some progress.

Thanks!

View attachment 624778

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sticking with the grey color, how about #1621 (Silversmoke Gray) shown on the attached Color Chart. It's a little darker gray, plus an original '65 color for Mustangs. If using single stage paint (as opposed to base coat- clear coat),a darker primer (red oxide or dark gray) will darken the top coat slightly more.

As far as the stripes, I tend to agree that the wide stripes would be a little over-bearing on a 65-66 body. You could go with stripes like the original Accessory Stripes available for 65-67 Mustangs (they were available and are reproduced in Red, White or Blue), or if you are set on black, just paint them like the Accessory Stripes. I would not use either gloss or flat black, but satin black like the Interior paint.

Another idea might be, instead of stripes, a black vinyl top. I think that a black vinyl top with the darker gray metallic body would look pretty classy.

Just some thoughts.

Bob

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
I love SSG as well. Factory color of my ‘65 FB. I have seen less than a handful person. Keep in mind, although a beautiful color in my opinion, when done correctly it has very subtle green hew.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
I thought gray was cool, back in the nineties. Now you just see gray everywhere. Having some Porsche trivia under my hat I remember that they discontinued gray in 1970 saying it was "not a good choice for a fast automobile". Of course, it's always been available as a "special paint" (extra charge).

I dunno. Nowadays I think fun cars should be fun colors. Gray is not a fun color. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Agreed, too subjective to answer.

I personally am fed up with that whore Eleanor so I’d never paint a car that scheme.

Additionally, though my last 4 Mustangs were black and my current one is too (and I still love it) I’m done with black cars. Next one will have some color.

+1^^^
Maybe consider something other than stripes....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Well y'all have done it, LOL. I still have not quite made a final decision on how I am going to paint my car and this thread is not helping but there are some nice paint jobs posted. My most previous thought was all black with flat black side stripes using 3M satin or flat black tape.

I do keep coming back to the photo below but I'm a little afraid to go that way. My basic theme is silver and black though including the interior. I don't think this is a real car actually. It is car art. The color break pin stripe on this is actually orange which is an interesting detail and the black is just barely lapped over the belt line or ridge line. That could tie in something like orange faced gauges or orange stitching inside the car.

I like this color but it wouldn't work for my car. I don't know what this color is.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think there is a big difference between gray and silver, but both can look great done correctly. It's all a matter of personal taste. I'm still 99% sure I'm going red when it's time to paint, even though there are so many "There's too many red Mustangs!" people out there, but there are also those "keep it original!" people, and my car was originally red. But bottom line is, when I look in the garage, i want a red car! So paint it what you see in your head when you open that garage door.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts