Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
And they have ocean-front property in Nebraska for sale. You can't get any form of paint/whatever to match the shine of chrome (or last like chrome).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The car needs to be painted. That could be an option. Maybe paint the explorer too.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm watching it and hopeful.
To chrome somethingis such a PITA! You have to take it off, you have to remove everything attached, you have to strip it of old chrome, you then have to take it to someplace that has large enough vats to dip it and who has all the chemicals, AND THEN YOU HAVE TO PAY OUT THE WAZOO for a job that, even if (and often enough is...), is subpar.
I'm hoping that modern science has come up with such a solution.
AFTER ALL, we paint our cars and then have to repaint them over and over, so why not repainting chrome?

Just think what we could do with all that spare time, not having to polish chrome.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
I know some are plating stuff themselves, and dying stuff themselves by turning modern plastic containers etc into vats for suspending and dipping stuff, adding chemicals and electrolysis to get it done. Mainly small stuff like carb parts, trim pieces and bezels, but a bumper etc could be done with enough materials. I just wonder how expe$ive the chemicals are and how EPA regs make them cost more.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sorry to say, I have since gotten rid of a photo of a 55 chevy that a guy repainted. He masked of the windows, headlights, tail lights and turn signals. Then painted everything else. As a Navy saying goes: "If it moves, salute it or paint it gray". Years ago I had a small ball peen hammer that I used with my inspection stamp. While waiting for assignments, I ground, then filed, then hand sanded and finally polished with jewler's rouge. It looked like it was chrome plated but it took over a month to finish. Busy hands are happy hands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you want a do it yourself bumper plating you could use nickle plating. It will not look much like chrome but you can do it yourself. Chrome plating involves highly toxic chemicals and such serious environmental concerns that it is both expensive and difficult to get permission to do. There is chrome mylar tape for windows it does not stretch so it will not go onto anything bit a flat surface or a simple curve without wrinkling. I have not seen "easy chrome" but my feeling is that it will look like paint.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Meh chrome don't get ya home.. Hobby Lobby carries a paint pen called Malato or something like that that does look real good but probably only for small stuff like the gauge cluster

·
Registered
23 Posts
you could apply gold leaf . Go to an art supply store for it. I think there also is silver leaf that goes on the same way. the advantage of gold is that it is exceedingly thin so the edges are hard to see thus it looks good. The disadvantage is that you have to put it on indoors out of moving air as the little pieces blow away.. After it is on you burnish it to get it even.
But if you are doing it on the cheap Renolds Wrap aluminum foil is smooth and somewhat chrome-like however expect wrinkles with it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I watched a (rerun?) of Bitchin' Rides recently and they took the chrome stuff from a project to this place that used some kind of "wash" to apply the faux chrome; literally washing the parts down. IIRC, they had to do it a second time but the results sure looked impressive. They used a green-hued chrome. I would have liked to see their plain chrome color.

The videos & pictures from the OP look interesting. I'd certainly be willing to give 'em a shot but Judas - the price!!! Wow... I guess if it really was equivalent it'd be an OK deal. You still gotta strip the old chrome though!! :)

Given the toxicity of chrome plating I'd wager (outside of chrome lining barrels and similar) the # of folks still doing it in a decade will be single digits - with the price tag to match. So IMO real alternatives will need to be/are being developed.

I've been really impressed with a few paints in recent years. For example, Rust Oleum Flat Soft Iron look 99.2% like bare steel. Too bad RO's can nozzles are TERRIBLE compared to Krylon!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you want chrome buy it done as it is not something that an individual can accomplish.
Nothing else equals it.
what you can do:
Nickle electroplating is possible for the individual to do.
Silver paint needs no description of the results. We've all seen it.
Aluminum tape is used by heating companies. It looks better than silver paint.
Flat black paint is the easiest

1 - 14 of 14 Posts