Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my car needs paint.. its getting in the way of everything, (when to take this out, when to put this in, etc etc).

Now.. what should i do? I plan to do all the body work myself. I dont have $2k to go spend on a paintjob. If i jamb it myself can i take it to maaco and give them my paint and say "here put this on it" and get a good job?

I'm just trying to find some options and nail down the plan once and for all

·
Registered
262 Posts
i don't know if macco will use your paint-their set up for their product.anyway,if you don't have alot to spend it's a way to get some color on it.before you take it to them pull it out in the driveway get the garden hose out and some 400 wet or dry and start sanding!work on the tough spots like around cowl,handles,chrome thats where they really miss on prep work,sand until your sick of it and then sand a little more.stop at a car wash on the way and spend all your qtrs.washing around the window trim,wheel wells,under hood,then drop it off and let them prep it some more and squirt it. i think you'll be happy with the results for the amount spent.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You would have to ask them about you providing the paint. Some shops will only use one brand of paint. They might want to source the paint themselves. If you do a good job on the body prep then most shops would be able to put on a nice top coat.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i do anything like that the things going to be zero trim - trailored in, etc etc... basically i just am not equipped or skilled enough to lay down the finished product, but i can do everything up to that point

·
Registered
804 Posts
Man, just get that baby stripped down, straighten all the metal, and take it to Maaco. Just like you said. From what I've heard Maaco does a good job, if you do all the prep work yourself. Basically, that is why any other car with a cruddy paint job from Maaco is like it is, the prep work sucked. On top of every nice paint job (usually) there is good prep work underneath. Of course, don't be expecting show quality, just a nice coat of color over your sheetmetal!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts