Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, first time on this site. Does anyone know if the underhood body buck tag on a 1968 Mustang ( Metuchen built ) was painted black like the engine bay, or was installed after the engine bay was painted black and left natural? I got a new repro tag from Marti Auto Works and it just looks too shiny and pretty installed. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I just dug up some old pictures of mine and mostly it looks like the color was "crappy old paint job overspray".

If I had to guess I'd say that it was black underneath since it's not rusted away, and it kinda looks like the same kind of faded black as the fender around where the screw is, but it's hard to say for sure with the old pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the picture. Seems like they all look like this, just not sure if this is the way they become over time or did they look shiny and silver like the repro when new???

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hi, first time on this site. Does anyone know if the underhood body buck tag on a 1968 Mustang ( Metuchen built ) was painted black like the engine bay, or was installed after the engine bay was painted black and left natural? I got a new repro tag from Marti Auto Works and it just looks too shiny and pretty installed. Any help would be appreciated.
My Metuchen built 68 was bare aluminium, no-paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok....Thanks for the reply. Guess I will leave it bare. Looks too nice. Not used to seeing one so shiny, but shiny is good!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts