Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I can post in the for sale section, so this is not an attempt to bypass the section.

I am getting ready to sell my 64.4 convertible, and debating on having it repainted first. The paint is probably 25+ years old (I have had the car 8 years). The top surfaces are faded pretty badly, and there are chips, etc in the paint, but the sides, doors, etc. are in decent shape, but have chips, etc. The rest of the car is pretty good, new top, 289 4V, 4 Speed, Rally Pac, SS wheels, etc.

It is not the correct color, currently red. The car was modified at some point in it's life, and has a very well done, but not correct Pony Interior (no door lights), and also all the GT type bolt on stuff (Trumpets, Fogs,) and the interior color was changed from black to red and the exterior from black to red. It also shows some speed stuff, like tracion bars and lake pipes, so I am thinking about removing them also.

Since it would take a lot to "restore", I have always treated the car as a driver, so I am not concerned about "originality" on it.

So, bottom line, if you were buying a driver convertible, would you pay more for a car with a new paint job, with the implication that something may be hiding under the paint, and how much more, or pay less, and see all the flaws.

Would you also remove the vintage traction bars and lake pipes?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
i would remove the lake pipes and try selling as-is but be open to getting it painted if it didnt bring what you are hopeing for. i would add the door lites if it was me. if its rust free should bring 15-20k rite? maybe more, wes

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
IMHO if I saw a new tape-and-paint and older "other stuff" I'd be a bit concerned. New paint makes all the other "old" stuff look older...

But it depends on your local market, demand for that car, and if the new paint adds more than the cost.

Agree with the prior post. Strip some of the "go fast" parts, fix some low cost items to fill gaps, set a price you are happy with and see what happens. If it doesn't go, then consider throwing real money for paint after a "maybe"...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I think I'd rather see it as-is if I were in the market. That way the new owner can decide whether or not to take it back to original.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I would clean it up and sell it as is. The cheaper the better right now.

This is the old vert I found for you at Pate Swap meet right ? It's been longer than 8 years then.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I would rather the seller left it alone so I could decide for myself what, if anything, to change / fix. I would be leary of a repaint, thinking it is probably a wash-n-shoot coverup job.

You probably should remove some of the incorrect and largely undesirable add-ons, but probably stop short of adding "missing" items like the door lights.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'd sell it as is. Save some restoration fun for the next owner.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sell almost as is. I would take the obvious racy stuff off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts