Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the car is still sitting. I FINALLY got everything around to do my intake/valve cover/carb install. I'm thinking since I have to remove the distributor and such anyway, I might as well touch up the paint in the engine bay. The engine block could use major touchup. I'm thinking just degrease what I can by hand, use the dremel to remove whatever flaked paint/rust is still there and use Plasticoat Ford blue. Whatcha think? Is there any paint I could buy somewhere locally that would be a good Ford blue?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I just use Krylon Hi-Temp engine paint. They have all the various versions of Ford blue and it really holds up well.

One of the tricks I learned a long time ago, here on the VMF, is to use aluminum foil to mask things. Way faster and easier, in many cases, than tape and paper.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I used a single stage PPG exterior urethane paint that was a perfect match for 1970 ford blue and painted the block with an HVLP touch up gun.. Held up very well and being catalytic rather than evaporative for hardening, it resisted chipping better than the duplicolor or plastiKote paints.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did u do it while it was in the car or when it was pulled?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If you remove the PS pump, fan, alternator, coil, and anything else in the way, the engine can be cleaned very well and painted in the car. The engine bay aprons and firewall are also easily done.

You can get a more complete job removing the engine but that is more work than some want to put into the project.

Take pictures, make notes and tag wiring etc. so re-assembly won't be a hassle. Be aware that this is one of those projects that leads to the "while I'm at it syndrome".

I've done it.block

1 - 5 of 5 Posts