Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to prep your smaller parts for paint? Specifically, what do you use to remove the light oil etc that is frequently applied to cast or machined parts to keep them from rusting until about 15 minutes after they are installed. Does wax and grease remover work well? Spray it on, rub it on and rinse, oven cleaner? Any and all recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
I use the Shooters brand prep wash from autozone. Many other brands out there that do the
same but different names. Removes wax, grease, sillycon, crayon marks, ( I got grand kids)
about anything without hurting the finish.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Eastwood's "Pre" - spray on, wipe off....

·
Registered
680 Posts
I use spray carbetator cleaner, form any auto parts store. It is cheap, and it everoperates quickly, and leaves no residue. It will take paint off, also. Must be careful around the car....
I pay about $1.29 for a large can. Also, throttle body cleaner works the same way.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Simple Green, straight up. Great stuff, and non-toxic.

Steve

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i use degreaser (Simple Grenn, etc.) to get heavy stuff off, then Eastwood,s Metal Wash, and before painting clearcoat for bare metal i apply 2 washes of Eastwodd's "PRE" which does an excellant job. the Metal Wash also gives you a few weeks or so of flash rust protection before painting.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Oven cleaner would work well to remove heavy deposits, basically anywhere you use Gunk. Cylinder heads, undercarriage, rear end third members that have been leaking, etc. Think huge chunks of stuff that you would have to scrape off with a screwdriver. After that, you still have to clean all the grease residue to paint.

For that, wax and grease remover would work. Carb cleaner would work, and I'll use it in a pinch, but it leaves a residue behind. Better to use brake parts cleaner. It's specifically designed to not leave a residue behind....think about it, residue on brake rotors or drums is a very bad thing.

BTW, Brake-Kleen works well as bug spray, like Raid, but it smells better.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Barrymann makes a carb parts cleaner in a gallon can with a parts basket. This product works excellant, I would highly recomend it. Schucks, Kragen, Checker stores carry, for about 13.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts