Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Made some progress yesterday just before the thunderstorm hit in Seattle. Got most of the car to bare metal, pickex20'd and epoxy primed.

I was thinking the next steps are

Filler putty for larger dented areas over the epoxy primer and then apply a filler primer.

What do I use to scuff the epoxy primer?

Do I fill the drip rails with sealer before applying the filler primer?

Should I leave most of the paper in the windows while I do the sanding/blocking?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rodney

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
What do I use to scuff the epoxy primer?

Do I fill the drip rails with sealer before applying the filler primer?

Should I leave most of the paper in the windows while I do the sanding/blocking?
You can scuff with a maroon hand pad. The tech sheet for your primer should have details on scuffing for coating.

I do epoxy then sealer then the rest of the layers of primer.

I’d leave masking in place while blocking.

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Agree with vegasloki.

I would recommend blocking the car at least twice using a guide coat. Don't use rattle can primer as a guide coat. It will gum up your sand paper. I like this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05861-Guide-Cartridge-Applicator/dp/B000PENEMM

If everything flattens out nicely after blocking twice, cool. If things are still wavy, block again. You'll hate yourself now, but thank yourself later.

Have you purchased your paint? Wondering what you're planning to use.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a container of the dry guide coat.

I haven't purchased paint. I'm going to have a spray shop do the color and they use their own. It was tough to find someone who would paint over my prep work but finally found a shop. Obviously they won't give me a warranty but I've seen their work and its pretty nice.

What do I do if I sand through the epoxy primer (already happened) as I'm blocking the bigger bondo areas? I have a large crack to fill where the roof meets the quarter panel that someone else did and I scuffed off some primer.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I think the number 1 response to most questions @autobody101 is "read the tech sheets!" Sometimes delivered rather rudely. Hopefully you did this and your first two layers are compatible.

What does it say to do to the epoxy before the next layer? There should be a few answers depending on the recoat windows, the longer it sits the more likely this is to need a full sanding anyway. For a build primer likely 180-220 grit or maybe finer. Of course read the sheet for your build primer as well and it will say what scratches it will easily fill. If your epoxy calls for such as this i would go ahead and start to treat it as a block-able layer if it cuts easy enough. You might find more obvious spots to build up even before the build primer, this will save you many ways in the long run.

Test a spot with your sanding board and whatever grit the sheet tells you to use, with that dark color it might even reveal it can act as its own guide coat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts