Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year and a half of working on my `66 coupe and making the car solid I am ready to start the outside of the car.I plan on doing the small dings myself and priming.Whats the proper procedure for priming(sand to bare metal??)and whats a good primer.Any help appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im painting mine right now. the best thing to do would probaly buy the whole package at once because i believe certain primer is for certain paint as far as brands. im using dupont paint and they gave me the primer that works with it. im not sure if just any old primer will do, although it probaly works. my advice is go to the auto paint shop and buy the package. as far as sanding to metal. i dont think it is necessary unless theyre is already 2 or more paint jobs on the car like mine, so i took most of mine down. ur supposed to etch the bare metal but someone tells me its not necessary and to just prime it. im kinda curious about that myself.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Sand the car and featheredge all chips. Sand to bare metal the spots you want to apply bondo. After the bondo is smooth, spray the whole car with epoxy primer. This is a sealer and helps everything adhere. Then apply several coats of filler primer. Mist the car with a contrasting color primer and wet sand that color off. This will show any scratches or imperfections that the filler primer didn't hide. Use glazing putty to fill the scratches, resand, and apply some color. Remember, prep is 99% of the game.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I was told a few things (and did I bother to listen???)
- Some guys like to use the same brand of primer and topcoat, to insure compatability.
- Recommeded (esp. in New Orleans) epoxy primer, as it does not absorb water like non-epoxy primers.

Good or Poor prep work can make or break a paint job - Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the "Learned the Hard Way" file,, first off find a auto paint supplier you are comfortable with, one
that will answer questions and help you without a "you dummy" attitude. Why spend bucks at a place
that blows you off or dosen't know the product they sell, and I've seen both. Second is go with a paint
system, from primer to topcoat, these paint companies have done all the testing to make sure everything
works together, there's enough variables in painting as it is without self induced problems. Also in that is if
you're going to have someone else do the topcoat, find them now and see what they recommend and use,
a ppg guy may not know dupont etc.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

1 - 5 of 5 Posts