Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a break under the a/c for a few. Been out in the garage sanding and buffing the new paint. The roof is now done and came out pretty ok. There is no way to sand out all the "pits" which came from painting with too much orange peel due to a dirty paint gun. Nevertheless, it is mirror reflective and very smooth. Sanded with 1000, 1200, 1500, buffed with 2 compounds and a glaze, then hand rubbed Meguiares No. 7 show car glaze. Now for the sides of the car and it is done. The owner picks up the car tomorrow after 3 - got to hurry. Still have to install the rocker moldings. I think the owner is taking the car to Reno for hot august nights. Well, back to the garage and heat (not too bad, though heatwise today).

Friday night the young guys across the street were swapping a turbo from one honda to another. The donor car was so low to the ground that the top of the engine compartment came to about my knee. When they jacked the car up using the radiator support (an aftermarket support) the support was so thin that it crushed and bent the entire support upwards. Consequently, there was not enough room to take out the turbo without disconnecting the inlet plumbing. However, there was one stud/nut combination which was nestled inside the curve of the elbow of the inlet pipe. There was no clearance to back off the nut!!!! I loaned them my jack and jackstands and a box of misc. nuts and bolts so that they could reconnect the turbo. Ultimately, one kid held and angled the turbo while another used a 2x2 and sledge hammer to beat the radiator support down enough to angle an drop the turbo out through the bottom of the car.

They hooked it up to the other honda, did not change computer, injectors, or fuel pump, yet the car started right up and supposedly ran fine for them. Man, I would be ervous about being lean. However, it was set at only 6 pounds of boost, (although capable of over 20)so maybe the engine won't gernade before they can get a hypertech chip in there. There were 7 rice rockets in the driveway, 2 guys wrenching and the rest talking and drinking beer. The primer wrench worked solid all night long through 6 a.m. to get it done for his friend. Got to admire that. Anyway,they like the V8 and the stang, so we're cool. ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ken, I hope you get that car done soon, so that you can get back to working on yours. I also sincerely hope that she fully appreciates all the hard work and money you've spent on her car. You've really done a fanstastic job that would have cost her at least 10 grand for her to have someone do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts