Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything with a search. Should the fender and quarter extensions be painted on or off the car? Looks to me like the factory painted with them on, correct?

·
Registered
151 Posts
If i were doin it, i would paint them off the car. This way the paint will not bridge across to the fender, but i'm sure a lot of people paint them on the car too. John

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The factory painted them off ... thus the reason for the paint behind them. When going for a re-paint, I'll usually leave the 1/4 extensions on, but paint the fender extensions (headlight doors) off, as they will go on and off when if you change headlights, possibly exposing non-painted surfaces if they didn't line up exactly perfect from the time before. On my daughter's '69 we left the headlight buckets in, since they don't ever come back off.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would say paint them off the car. If you are using a base coat/clear coat system, the clear would bridge the gap if they were left on.

Scott

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
randy says paint them off - better coverage and no bridging of the paint from piece to piece....

Earl Scheib says paint with them on, in fact, with EVERYTHING on....

take your pick.....

*G*

randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts