Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my front fender with a nicely restored original unit. Since the car was painted in '94 and I don't have the original paint code (non-OEM). I had the color scanned by the local auto paint store. The match was close -98% but not perfect and you can see the difference in certain lighting.

The restored fender has already been painted in the new red. I know red is hard to match, especially 13 yr old paint. What will the body shop do to match it up? I understand blending is the usual technique. Is this possible on my car?

TIA

·
Registered
371 Posts
2 stage is easier to blend out then single stage . On darker colors in lacquer and enamel sun will pull blend out . Paint still has to be a real close mix to blend even in 2 stage some colors will show up in different lighting . Some clears will darken an adjacent panel.

Given time a paint shop can mix to get a perfect match but i'm sure they will charge a hefty price to do that .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts