Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was discusing paint for my car with my dad today. i plan on doing all my own body work (no way can i afford to pay someone to do it). i know white would best hide my profesional bondo job, however i hate white on the exterior of cars.

i really like the shade of red candy apple red is, however i have never seen it in person. is it really a special paint (like metaic paint is special in that it has metal flakes in it, vs just normal color) or is that just what ford called the color?

my dad thought that candy apple red had a special tint or something to it that would show my crappy body work more so than a normal color, however i did not think that anyone had any kind of special paints back in the 60's like they do now.
anyone care to chime in on this?
TIA,

- Jason

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Candy apple red has no relation to "candy paints" that change colors.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Why are you planning on doing a crappy job on the prep? All it really takes is sand paper and sweat, and maybe a little bondo. Head over to autobodystore.com and go to the "classroom". Helpful people will share the secrets of prep.
The darker the color, the more flaw show, but you shouldn't be intimidated by this. Have you selected a painter, you may be able to find a nice guy that is willing to help a youngster. Go to car shows to find names of painters.
Red is the most expensive paint due to the pigment cost.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Candy paint is a nickname given to Acrylic Lacquer

it is a three step paint that usually involves a metallic base like silver, the pigmented pearl or microflake paint (usually clearcoat with the flakes or pearl) and the clearcoat itself.

it is a painstaking process....expensive to do.....

but very nice when done right.

regards....

ps why not go with a pearl white????
NIssans 300zx has a nice pearl white color...

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
There is a candy apple red, but it's not what FORD used. They just called it "candy".
They also called it "counterrevolutionary red".

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John- i am not trying to do a bad job, however i have never done body work before. i am going to try my best, but i am sure that it still will not be a profesional looking job.

to everyone eles- thanks for the replys. CAponyboy, red has always been my favorit color... and i think it really makes most cars look good. i have always thought white mustangs were a little more bland than the rest.

thanks again!

- Jason

G

·
OK, To start with, Ford Candy Apple Red is just the name that they decided to use. It is not a true "candy" paint. Candy paint is not a color changing, nor is it exclusivly a lacquer based paint. To paint a car with true "candy" paint, you first spray a base color, usually metallic gold, but if a darker color is desired silver can be used. Yes, I know, it sounds backwards, but gold is brighter. We even did a few black base coats with a pearl/clear mix as a base. Called "Black Cherry". But then you have to spray on the tinted top coat color. It is a translucent color, which almost appears to be a clear with a tint to it. Then a clear coat top is applied. It comes in lacquers and urethanes, and I may add, is very expensive, materials and labor. I once sprayed a '69 camaro candy red with the gold base. Had to redo it because the owner and his friends were outside the booth looking through the filters as I painted. When they touched the filters, they were knocking dust loose that was getting in the paint. I had NO idea they were out there or I would have run them off before I started painting.
And yes, take your time with the prep, you might be suprised with your talents! Check out the online tips as JohnZ mentioned. Ever think about taking a night class at a Tech school to learn a few tricks? But do yourself a favor, don't do it as a career. You can and will burn out real quick in this line of work.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've heard black cherry called "candy apple black," too.

I agree on the bodywork. The biggest part of good bodywork is time. If you do a poor or rush job, you'll just be dissatisfied and have to do it over. There's no crime in doing what you can, the best you can, as you can pay for it. And sometimes paying a professional saves money in the long run over doing an amateur job that has to be redone.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Candyapple red was just a name Ford used to describe the paint color just like wimbledon white or acapulco blue.
I am very fond of the candyapple red cars but my judgement is biased just a bit.

It is pricey as well

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Contrary to what some people believe, my statement about painting the car white wasn't to hide the Bondo.....it was merely to promote an opinion about a color.

Due to the fact that painting the car a dark color one would have to really take care and prep alot....White offers an alternative
to blocking your car 20 times.

Minor ripples don't show up as easy.

thats all.

peace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts