Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my engine compartment forever. I replaced 3 of the 4 inner fender aprons, the one that was'nt replaced is the driver side front. Everything was stripped to bare metal, primed with etching primer, 2 coats of polyurethane primer, blocked, then sprayed with polyurethane sealer. Along the seam between the front driver side fender apron (the one that was'nt replaced) and the frame rail I keep having something leech out into the primer. It looks like its wet about 1/2" wide strip along this seam. I have removed the primer and redone it twice, tried pressure washing the seam, blown it with air, don't know what else to do. The primer seems to be adhered well, I can't scrape it off with my fingernail. I suspect it is power steering fluid, but I'm really not sure. I'm about to the point of painting it and hoping for the best. If I go over it with a scuff pad and wipe it down with final prep, it takes about 3 days for it to show up again. What would you do? ::

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Sounds like the metal is contaminated with something. Go get some metal neutralizer from the paint store. Then start over with the spraying.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you use paint stripper in there at any time? If so, it's probably bleeding out causing the primer not to cure in that spot.I'ts real hard to neutralize that stuff if it gets into seams and weld joints.Most of the time hot soapy water works. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
My trick of last resort is to skim over it with a thin coating of bondo to seal in the contaminant, then prime and paint over the top of that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not use any stripper. Before I started with the paint removal I washed the entire front end then cleaned with prep sol. I then used a metal prep to clean the bare metal before priming. I believe that the lap joint is contaminated with oil or power steering fluid and I can't get the stuff washed out. I've used hot water with detergent in a pressure washer, I even dug all the crud out of the joint with a small screwdriver and toothpics. I have been very meticulous in prepping areas for priming I just don't know of anything else to do to this seam. Whatever is in there I can't seem to get out. If I go over the primer with a scuff pad and then wipe it down with final clean (dupont product recommended for wipe down prior to paint), you can't see it for about 3 or 4 days. The guy at the paint store thinks that I'm OK to paint and that the paint will flash and cure before it gets to it. Just really bugs me that I can't get it stopped.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
When repainting my engine compartment, I used 3M seam sealer on all joints, then epoxy primed over that. It seems that if you ran a bead of seam sealer at the joint, it would keep anything from leaching out from between the two panels and contaminating the new paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts