Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since I'll be looking for new paint once i get my GT....id like to do the car black....so who would be a good recommended paint shop in the bay area? i dont want a top of the line show car quality thats like 15k for it :p i want something decent like a daily driver, something that will shine...something near factory i guess...i wonder how those factory guys do it lol...hopefully i can find if a ford dealership from a friend of mine could do it lol HOPEFULLY

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Factory is easy. The body is nekkid. Then it gets dipped. Then it gets painted by robots. Done... No body work, no sanding, no masking, no effort.

I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't. For a "good" job, with a decent life expectancy, you can count on at least 5K, unless there is body work involved, in which case it will be more.

You can get a cheap job for 1-3K, but they only last a few years and you get to do it over again.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm...how much does media blasting usually run? will this strip an original paint job on fiberglass like that at the factory so i can do a good smooth paint job?

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Soda blasting might work on glass, but just about any other media and you run the risk of eating the glass.

No matter how you strip it, it will need to be sanded, filled, sanded, filled and sanded again if you want a black paint job that looks good when all is said and done.

The really good shops float a thin coat of liquid finishing compound on the whole car and the block sand that for a dark paint color. That would be a $15K paint job though.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dammit that sucks.... :( ill probably have to look for another color i like ::but i need something good w\that SVO hood...and tinted windows ::
this is my idea to do ... http://www.kkpony.com/79-93/90gt.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts