Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your comments...!

I am preparring my car for a complete paint job.

Chemicals are no good....

Sand blasting is no good...

Now a guy is suggesting Soda blasting...

It should not harm the car in any way.
It is claimed to leave a corrosion protective
layer. It washes off with water.

Sounds to good to be true...

Has anybody had any experience with this
process. How about rust formation on cleaning
with water?

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
532 Posts
The guys stripping my car is using walnutshells as blasting media. It is supposed to put less heat on the body panels to avoid warping. I have seen a few cars that has been media blasted with shells and it finished surface is approx 320 grit. It runs between $1000-1500 in Seattle for the whole car in and outside and under.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you go to Autobodystore.com and ask about blasing with baking soda you might get some authoritative replies. Seems to me that Len Stuart, the paint pro who runs the site, said he didn't like it because the soda got into EVERYTHING. Glass bead and walnut shells may be better options.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
www.problast.ca ...
there's a good product/service, they were at the big boy's toy store during HAN and they had one of the hottest setups around. They had a body of a 55 bel air with side trim left on just to show it didn't hurt completely blasted(I think it was soda, if not it was their special one) and it looked amazing. I am definitely going this route when I do mine. They are actually expanding to the states and looking for investors/branch openers everywhere, maybe there will be one near you soon. I assume the media would get everywhere but .. that's a good thing, nothing a bit of pressurized air and maybe a pressure washer couldn't get out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts