Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am buying a 67 S code fastback from the originl owner. The car was orignally Dark Moss Green, but is now red. It needs painted. In you guys opinion, should I paint it back Dark Moss green like it says on the original window sticker, or leave it red? Its not a totally stock style car. Looks stock but has had a lot of custom work.

I think i am gonna paint it dark moss green but I would like some inpout from others about if thats the best thing for the car value..

Thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
I going back to Dark Moss Green on my 67 vert. Seeing this 67 FB in that color a few months ago was the decision maker for me. My car is originally Dark Moss Green and Saddle with a white top. I'm going with the GT rocker strip and badging as well.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If it's not all original then I wouldn't worry about going back to the original color. I don't think that would add value to the car (since you put value in the title). However, they don't call it "Re-sale" red for nothin'.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I'd go green.

As you note it "needs" painting, and it's an S code, stripping and documenting condition of sheet metal for future reference couldn't hurt....

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
My thoughts, if you plan on keeping this car for awhile & you're ok with the color, repaint back to orig DM green. Big block fastbacks are very collectable if redone nicely. A repaint of a color other than orig as said will only affect value only a few grand as long as it's a color of that time period. A nice paint job is one of the more labor intensive parts of a resto so if you're gonna go thru it, why not do it correcly. When I bought my '67 as pictured, it was all stripped out and mostly in boxes. Wasn't sure if I was gonna like the Aqua (its orig color) but because it's rare I decided to go with it. It grew on me quickly once I saw it repainted. For some reason most women love it. I have no grets as I've always liked cars diff than everyone elses. I like red but there are way to many of them. I think a car restored nicely will get just as much attention. I've been to a few national car shows with a dozen in my class, 4-5 alone being red. Yet I still beat them for 1st place every time. I know you said car is not all stock but keep in mind most if not all those changes are "bolt on" changes that are much easier to switch if you choose to later on than a paint job. I had a 67 FB years ago dark moss and loved it. My .02

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A friend has a Dark Moss Green Fastback and it is one sharp car. He put in some green and saddle seats and really topped it off.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
If it was a 'nothin special' plain car, paint it any color you want. The S code puts it in the collectible category. Paint it green, it needs paint anyway, as you said.

I know it's a Highland Green 68, but this car didn't exactly offend Steve McQueen:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Original Green, for sure

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I totally disagree. The vast majority of potential buyers care about "eyeball" and not originality. A "desirable" color (like red) will bring just as much or more than a "correct" not so desirable color (like green).

You have to keep in mind that most people on this forum are Mustang nuts and care a lot about originality. They do not necesarily represent the opinions of the "ordinary" guy that wants a Mustang.

I follow auction/sales results very closely and there is plenty of documentation to support this viewpoint.

The only exception is concours show cars trying to win MCA trophys. But that is a whole other ball game.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The green is an awesome look whether it's orignal or not... being original on an S code is just icing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts