Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PO painted the hood hinges the same color as the body (????). What would be the best way to correct this?
Should I sand blast them or use stripper on them?
Then should they be painted a silver color or just clear coated with something?
This is on my 70 mach.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
they were originally painted "slop gray"

i need to paint mine too, but im kinda reluctant to take the hood off since after i painted the hood latch it took me forever to align the hood perfectly again.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I thought that the hood hinges came raw metal with an anodized rust coating. In all the Mustangs that I've owned, I've never had an original one with painted hinges before, although most of mine were pre-69. You can sandblast them (bead blast preferred) and then just clear them to keep them from rusting. You could paint them with a grayish (castting) color paint that they sell. You could also put a light coating of a gold or yellow candy (transparent) paint then clear to make them look like anodized metal, or you can actually have them anodized in a zinc type coating like I believe they came from the factory. The PO on my Boss had them chromed. Looked clean and nice, but sort of funny under there.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I thought that they were phosphate coated, thats why they had that grey color.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
originals were phosphate coated, as well as hood latch and striker. Not that expensive to have done

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
they were originally painted "slop gray"
Ummm... no. That's not correct. They were originally plated. I'm no expert on plating, but some have suggested phosphate and oil. I've heard that before and as far as I know, that is the proper finish.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
but hence since it looks grey you can save time and money by just painting them

·
Registered
642 Posts
Depends on who calls "correct" by what standards? MCA Councours requires natural as this is the way they came from the factory. There are several methods you can use to duplicate this finish. No Paint of any kind. Phosphate and oil seems to work the best.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
PO painted the hood hinges the same color as the body (????). What would be the best way to correct this?
Should I sand blast them or use stripper on them?
Then should they be painted a silver color or just clear coated with something?
This is on my 70 mach.

Thanks
Randy
The correct finish is phosphate and oil. Order some OxiSolvfrom Eastwood or Metal Prep from POR-15, either will leave a phosphate coating. Spray or dip in oil and walla, you have an original finish.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks very much for the replies. But what EXACTLY is phosphate coating?? Is it a paint, or something you apply to the metal after it is sandblasted to bear metal?
And do you literally then dip it in oil?? What kind of oil?
Sorry, but as you can see, I am totally unfamiliar with this.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
Phosphate and oil is something like gun blueing: it is a coating put over metal to keep it from rusting. There are kits out there to apply phosphate and oil; I believe Parkerizing it is another term for it. Those of us on the cheap use Oxisolve from Eastwoods, which is a compound to remove rust and replace it with a iron-phosphate compound. You then rinse the part with water and then apply oil. OK...what kind of oil? I've been trying to find that out as well...so far, I know it is not motor oil. I suspect 3in1 oil will do or metal-cutting oil.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The easiest way that I have found to correctly coat hood hinges with a phosphate & oil finish is to do the following:

1) Clean all paint and rust off of the hinges and take them to bare metal.
2) Get a gallon of Oxysolve from Eastwood (about $26.00)
3) Soak your hinges in Oxysolve for about 20 minutes.
4) Coat the hinges with WD-40 immediately and periodically afterwards so they won't rust.

This process gives you a very correct finish.

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
I use Boeshield, which roadracer recommended. You can get it from WestMarine and it's a spray can. Occasionally, I have to recoat the shock tower covers. I wipe them down with a little Oxysolve, wipe that off, and then spray the Boeshield on a shop towel and rub it into the cover. Then just wipe off the excess and it's show ready once again. ::

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks very much for the replies. That clarifies things for me. Gonna get me some a that oxysolve stuff!!

Thanks again
Randy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.