Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an earlier post requesting dimensions for the 1973 stripes, but no answer was given. The advice was to use the stripe kit, or buy one as a template. This seems to be a waste of money, and I am planning on painting my stripes. All I need to know is the height of the letters from top to bottom on the Quarter panel and the deck lid and the length from beginning to end. Can someone that has a 1973 please take a quick measure, or direct me to a site that may have this info ?
Hope someone can help, Thanks !

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Mach 1 stripes or the longer "71-72" stripes?

If it is the latter you are going to wish you used the decals. That is a lot of taping for painting them on.

·
Vendor
3,882 Posts
I'm lost as well... The 1973 Mach 1 stripes have a myriad of curves and angles and subtle taper front-to-rear to them, and I'm unsure how you're going to replicate the embedded Mach 1 script correctly without a template of some sort... I understand the desire to paint stripes on, but without a kit to utilize for reference, and alot of patience with the masking, it'll look absolutely terrible.

The 71-72 stripe would be easier to lay out, but as 68Rcode said, an awful lot of detailed taping to get the outer pinstripe/border right...

The biggest waste of money and time will be to spray-on stripes that look badly homespun, IMHO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 73 stripe has a slight taper at the front fender which we can replicate. I have a friend with a sign business that will make a negative of the script to match the "MACH 1", from a photo, provided I give him the sizes of the letters. He did this for me on my 1970 hood "351" and we taped the rest of the hood and deck lid, and it worked excellent. I am confident this will come out as good provided I get the height and overall length of the "MACH 1" at the quarter and Deck Lid.
Thanks !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts