Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to paint my 66. The car is completely disassembled..I mean completely..the doors are off and stripped...hood, deck lid, glass, fenders, etc.
Is it better paint the pieces and re-assemble or paint the jambs and, re-assemble, and paint the entire car as one unit.
It would seem difficult to align the panels and not chip new paint.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Depends on weather or not you want to use metallics or pearls in the color.

If going with a solid color (either single stage/1 part, or 2 stage Base Coat/Clear Coat) you can paint the panels, jambs and body separately.

If going with metallic/pearls, its best to paint jambs first, then assemble car and paint entire exterior separately so as to keep a consistent flow/look to the finish.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using base/clear metalic. I had thought about painting jambs, under side of hood/deck lid, interior portions and behind the fenders with a single stage. I figure I won't have to worry about UV problems and issues with waxing in those areas. I know waxinf a single stage will eventually reduce any UV protection in a single stage system.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I guess your car may look like my sig pic minus the paint. If I could do it again, i'd re-assemble the body parts except maybe the hood and then have it painted. It's just easier that way and most paint guys are used to painting the entire car. I had my car painted a non-metallic black single stage. All the parts were painted seperately. I wanted two-stage but the paint shop tried to cheat me and shot it with a single stage so I sued them and got my money back. Now, the paint job doen't look so bad for free. I've decided not to be a perfectionist and realize the paint looks good even if it's single stage polyuerathane. Besides it's going to get chipped, etc. when I start to drive it so i'll get it repainted in a few years when it's time for new paint.

Afterwards, I had several people tell me that if the car is going to be painted black, that single stage is actually preferred. Something about the gloss is fine without a clear coat. Maybe they're right...it looks deep.

Sorry if I went off on a tangent, but the paint job was a bad experience. Pick your paint shop carefully!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what it looks like sans paint. I'm of the opinion that re-assembled and aligned was a better plan, but have had many tell me to paint it in pieces. My guess is that their helper in not their wife who can't help but cross-thread the hing bolts.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
As soon as my cracked ribs heal (from an earlier doofus) I'm ready to shoot the silver blue on my 66. I'm painting the back side of everything off the car then will assemble and paint the exterior as a whole. I'm using PPG BC/CC.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I just painted a 66 fastback for a customer. I cut in the area where the door hinges bolt down to the car and the door. I then hung the doors and aligned them. I did not shoot the clear yet!!! I then hung the fenders, hood and deck lid.

When I sparyed the car I painted the jambs, the inside of the fender lip, the front side of the cowl and the drip rail track for the deck lid along with the complete outside of the car. The paint is a metalic with pearl BC/CC.

The smaller pieace like the side vents and head light buckets where painted off of the car and they match fine. If you do decide to paint with the doors and fenders off of the car they must be painted in the same position as they will be on the car. Meaning do not lay the fender down flat. This will cause the metalic to lay differently and may not match. The quater panel extensions I bolted to the car but I use 1/4-20 rod to bolt them on so that they stay away from the quarter panel. You can see pics on my web site.

I sprayed clear in the jambs before I started on the car but when it cam donw to the thrid coat of clear the cutting in was done last. The outside of the car will be wet sanded and buffed so the over spray you may get is nothing. This will leave you with very nice looking jambs and cut in areas.

Use BC/CC for the complete job. It's much easier to work with. You will have trouble blending single stage with BC/CC. Also my car was painted in pieces but it 's a solid color.

good luck ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts