Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been stripping my 67 fastback interior fiberglass using the "Easy Off oven cleaner" method, which has been much harder than described in threads here. I'm actually on my 3rd application, and I still don't have clean panels yet. I guess the PO who painted right on top of the factory original paint made it much tougher for the Easy Off to strip off the multiple layers of paint?

Anyway, here's my question... Once I have the panels completely stripped down to the fiberglass, do I need to use a specially formulated primer when spraying the raw fiberglass, or does regular self-etching automotive primer work best?

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
can these fibre glass panels be spray painted, or do you have to use the dye, as i am about to change the interior color of my car too?

Thanx Ian.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I used the easy off to strip, normal over the counter spray can primer and interior paint from the Mustang shop. No issues so far.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
garner67 said:
I've been stripping my 67 fastback interior fiberglass using the "Easy Off oven cleaner" method, which has been much harder than described in threads here. I'm actually on my 3rd application, and I still don't have clean panels yet. I guess the PO who painted right on top of the factory original paint made it much tougher for the Easy Off to strip off the multiple layers of paint?
Anyway, here's my question... Once I have the panels completely stripped down to the fiberglass, do I need to use a specially formulated primer when spraying the raw fiberglass, or does regular self-etching automotive primer work best?

Thanks.
Man oh man, i didn't know the easy off stuff was that strong to strip off car paint...
I've just learned something... :eek:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
The stuff is amazing.

There are some great how to posts on here, try a search.

This is after about 20 minutes

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/541000-541999/541371_276_full.jpg

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
fast68back said:
I used the easy off to strip, normal over the counter spray can primer and interior paint from the Mustang shop. No issues so far.
Did you use lacquer primer or enamel primer? Was the interior pain enamel or lacquer?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Lacquer paint. I'm not sure about the primer, it was rust oleum auto primer.

Paint

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
The Easy Off HD with lye has to be used in temperatures at least 70*; colder than that, it will take several applications to remove the paint. I also recommend using a stiff plastic wire brush to facilitate paint removal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts