Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Only prep I know is, clean, clean, then clean more. The tape off anything you don't want paint in or on. I used Dupli-color engine enamel primer and dark ford blue. Came out pretty good. Don't know about the clear though, I thought that stuff would yellow after a bit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ditto for the clean and clean. I primed mine with red oxide rustoleum out of a can then Ford Blue out of a can. 10 years later, still looks good.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Like they say get them clean. Prior to painting mine (it was bare) I used my spray gun filled with lacquer thinner to clean the bock and heads. Immediately afer I painted it with rattle cans, no primer. Its been 4 years, 5K miles no problems.

Dan

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
You don't need primer with engine paint. Don't use it. I powerwashed mine real good and then soaked it with oven cleaner over night, powerwashed it again. Worked well and was easy. Don't get oven cleaner on your aluminum/chrome.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In case anyone else is interested this is the info I passed along to copasspupil.
"I spoke to Dupont regarding painting the engine. They have a DTM (direct to metal) primer that you can spray directly on the engine after thorough cleaning. I used the same BC/CC that I shot the car with. They also recommended that I use just enough paint to cover instead of multiple coats because the thicker the paint the better chance of it cracking due to expansion and contraction. Hope that helps."

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Just to add something to the good suggestions so far, if you are going to paint with a rattle can use many, many coats. I did 6 coats and wish I would have done 10-15. The paint was not very durable with only 6 coats. I'm rebuilding the engine this winter so when I repaint it, it will get 15 coats.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I epoxy primer my engines before I paint them. I use the good ppg DPxxLF primers. Then you can topcoat with any color you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts