Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Cleaning up the front end and refinishing the A-arms, brake calipers, backing plates, springs, spring perches and related hardware...Using rattle can paint, wondering what to use on the various items...looking for correct finishes since I don't want to do this again too soon..Powder coating may be my best option but not this time around.

Car is a 67 GTA in case that matters.

I've done a search and found answers that were not quite what I was looking for...For instance : "Natural" does that mean bead blast then clearcoat? I thought I'd seen pictures of A-arms which were gloss black...I did find some cast Iron high heat paint which I'm very happy with for painting the spindles and brake parts (safe to 900 degrees then I guess it explodes??)
1. Should A-Arms be painted gloss black? or semi flat?
2. End of A-Arms upper AND lower painted silver? If so, which brand? (again please note I'm using rattle cans)
3. Disk brake backing plate gloss black?
4. Coil spring? (I'm leaning towards blasting and clear coating because I like the contrast with the black everywhere else.) If there IS a proper color other than black then that might be easier though.
5. Spring perch? Natural or black to match the upper A-arm?

Think that's it for now...Please, if you use the term "Natural", please tell me if this means blasting and clearcoating or if this refers to a specific paint color and brand...Some things are just not obvious enough for some people (namely ME!)
Thanks for your help! Tom

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm not that picky. To me, steel parts need to be protected from the elements. I don't care if it is concous because I don't show my 65, so I blast all the parts, use a primer, then come back with two or three coats of semi-gloss black laquer. "Natural" means very little protection.....and is only good for trailer queens. If you plan on driving your car, put some paint on those metal parts.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The control arms should be semi-gloss black with natural ends. For a natural finish on stamped parts (i.e. spring perches, control arm ends, sway brackets), I use Eastwood's Detail Gray. For cast pieces with a natural finish (spindles), I use Duplicolor's cast iron. For the tie rod ends, drag link, pitman arm, and idler arm, I leave them natural and WD-40 them to keep them from rusting. I don't think these pieces look right painted. The pieces that are black (sway bar, disc brake backing plates, springs, and control arms) should be semi-gloss black. Use a different sheen black than your engine bay because you want a little contrast. Hope this helps.

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/1785303/3437215/64433401.jpg

BTW, this isn't my car, but it is a good reference.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I used Global West upper and lower control arms when I replaced my suspension. I really liked the look of the gloss black parts. I had my spindles powder coated, but I painted everything else. I used POR15 high gloss black. It dries with no visible brush marks, it looks just like a powder coat finish. If you are interested I can take a photo and email it to you, or someone here can post it for all to see. Let me know, Jeff

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ivygreen...That is a beautiful undercarriage!!! Now I know mine will NEVER look that good but I'm gonna try!!! Excellent reference though and it answers a slew of questions...What's that about a picture and being worth a thousand words??? Never mind...

I tried the POR 15 semigloss in the wheel well ares but it came out blotchy...Some areas semi-gloss and some remained shiny...Thinkin of spraying the area with Krylon semigloss like I did on the inside of the engine bay...What do you think?? Will it stick to the POR 15?

If I was to buy rattle can silver paint for the end of the Control arms, what color/brand should it be? Looks like the picturs shows the same color for the center link and associated plumbing as well? I hate being so anal retentive on this stuff!!!!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Having no experience with POR15, I couldn't answer about topcoating with paint, but I would think it would bond. Regarding the silver paint, get 2 or 3 cans of Eastwood's Detail Gray. It is really a good quality paint and has received many kudos here on this forum. I don't know of another silver paint that gives you the stamped steel look that Detail Gray does.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Rust is my enemy and i painted everything after sandblasting or buying new.
I used gloss black Imron and Eastwoods detail grey, it's my car and i want to drive it and not have things rust again.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Nice PICTURE !
Im gonna save that one for reference on my suspension painting .
POR-15 needs a special primer to topcoat , it's called Tie-Coat Primer and is sold in most stores that carry POR-15 .
I imagine it's a etching primer but not for sure .
If you spray directly ontop of the POR-15 , it likely won't stick unless you use the proper stuff . It **might** stick if scuffed down good , I dunno .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts