Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is way down the road for my project, but once I get all the body work finished, I am going to need to paint my car. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I want to try to do this myself, at least the priming.

What books or web sites would you recommend for me to read. I need something that will show a complete beginner, step-by-step instructions from priming to finishing the paint. I'm probably going to go with a clearcoat finish, but it's way down the line so I have plenty of time to think it over.

I've gotten a lot of tidbits from the forum, but I need something that will be comprehensive.

Thanks for the input!

Shannon

1967 coupe with vinyl top. 351W engine with C-4. Work in progress.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
You might want to lurk around and read the archives at www.autobodystore.com. But be advised that this site is a commercial site where the moderator expects you to buy his items. So just don't make posts about buying elsewhere and you'll be fine. There are some helpful folks there, and most will answer your question willingly.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Some things you can learn from a book, I'm not sure painting a car is on that list. I'm a good book learner and studied printed resources to learn. I got some good ideas but I really didn't learn until by buddy taught me. We have done two cars together and now I'm on my own. Car painting is more art than science, it requires a mentor. In other words, I didn't find anything that I could read that prpoerly described how to use my hands to see the sheet metal. Learn what you can from books but look for a teacher. Can you hear the sound of the grasshopper at your feet? hehehehe
Regards, RT

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
There are several things that will help you decide if you really want to paint your car. Equipment, shop to paint in. You'll need a compressor, a good gun, resperator (spelling), buffer. I've painted hundreds of cars & I'm still learning. You gotta have a good gun which can run $300-500, then the compressor another $500 & up. So you see the price can really jump for a one-time paint job if you have to buy everything.
But if you really wanna do it, I'll be glad to help.

Lancaster, South Carolina
66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks for kind of showing me the light. I too was considering a 1 time paint job. Now I guess I will have to look around for someone I trust to do it.

69 Grande
2000 GT

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have done a couple of paint jobs (many moons ago), but when we were restoring my son's '66 we opted to have the painting done by a pro.

However, we did do most of the body work, prep, and prime. You can save yourself a lot of money that way and nobody will likely be as concerned about the details as much as you are for your own car.

If you wish to get some info on this subject, I book carried by most Mustang Parts Suppliers is "How To Paint Your Mustang". I know that Mustangs Plus has it for $7.95.

David
Mountain Dew & Donuts, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
'66 Coupe 289 2V done for son
'70 Coupe 351W 4V (She Bear), doing for me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts