Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painting Hi-Po Headers ???? What king of high temp. paint and painting techniques are you all using to paint newly sand blasted headers. New headers I bought from VA Mustang came with paint that instructions advised removing, and replacing with a High temp paint. I don't understand why they weren't painted "right" when they were manufactured !!! Anyway, the high temp paint I used (supposedly good to 1200 degrees) actually boiled off the pipes when they were installed,,,, need advice, or I'm going to have to spring for ceramic coated headers.

thanks,

Z. Ray

·
Registered
76 Posts
Z. Ray,
I hate to say it but it is hard to beat the ceramic coatings you get at JetHot. Yes, it will cost you 4 or 5 times as much as any other spray can or Eastwood product but it definitely will last a very long time! I have tried nearly every other product prior to biting the bullet and sending my manifolds out to JetHot. I am extremely pleased with their finish but if you still want to save some money I would use Eastwoods exhaust manifold products as they lasted longer than anything else I tried. Good luck with your car!!
David

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've done a couple with VHT and had good luck. I had the headers sandblasted first. Went over them with wax and grease remover then sprayed with VHT. After the VHT dried I took them to a local shop and the shop put them in an oven and ran them through the heat cycles as recommended on the can of VHT. Cost me $13 per header to have the shop put them in the oven. You have to be real careful with the headers until after you get them in the oven as the paint chips off real easy. Once they have gone through the heat cycle they are a little more durable. They don't look as nice a ceramic and are not coated on the inside but for the price they are not bad.

I had several do the flaking thing after painting until I started running them through the heat cycle in an oven. Once I got that figured out they seem to work fine and are lasting well.

That being said there is not replacement for ceramic.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I used POR high temp paint on my headers and it's held up very well.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
At the advice of "roadracer" here on the VMF, I painted my headers with Rustoleum "BBQ" paint. While it does not look like the gray of freshly cast iron (it's black) you can't beat the price or ease of application. IIRC it held up very well for about a year before showing some rust. Then a light hand sanding while still installed and a recoat brought it back up to snuff.....Cheap and easy (like half of my old flames!) ::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts