Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Painting is NOT restoration, Hello!

1506 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  RTM4COM
Just got to rant. Some folks (even some VMFers) just seem to think painting a car, washing the engine, and, oh yeah, new carpet somehow qualifies as a restoration. Where do you buy the pills that make you think that?????
Restoration means that if the restoration was done just 6-7 years ago, the car would not have marginal floors now. The paint would not be peeling off now. The bumpers would not need rechroming now.
I just hope the boneheads that think a paint job equals a restoration get it someday.
:: :trooper: :sniping: :wall: :puke: :naive:
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,250 Posts
May I ask what brought on the rant?

· Registered
7,191 Posts
Restoration means that if the restoration was done just 6-7 years ago, the car would not have marginal floors now. The paint would not be peeling off now. The bumpers would not need rechroming now.
I just hope the boneheads that think a paint job equals a restoration get it someday.
:: :trooper: :sniping: :wall: :puke: :naive:
If I loan you a baseball bat, would you consider having a conversation with my PO? Even Maaco WASHES them before they paint them, and tar does not a seatpan make. :wall:
--Kyle

· Registered
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Somebody attempting to triple their money by buying a car, then flipping it. "Oh, it was just restored, just needs paint." Not at THAT price....

G

·
Well, you can take this even further than that. What about guys that change the color of the car, put in a crate engine, aftermarket wheels and then say "90% restored". I mean, what the heck have they restored? I'm all for people doing whatever they like with their cars, but unless you do a total tear-down and put back together, CORRECTLY, you aren't "restoring" anything.

· Registered
1,250 Posts
Gotcha! The "restored" term is used way too much as is the "NOS" term. I think some people think that means "New On Shelf".

I think the whole "restored" dilemma is self governing. In other words, you are obviously educated enough to spot a real or good restoration while many many others are not. You would not purchase a poorly or otherwise "restored" car unless you chose to because you know the difference. Someone more ignorant about the meaning of "restored" or the car itself, would buy the poor example and learn after the fact.

Either way, take pride in the fact that you know the difference.

· Registered
9,821 Posts
My Shelby is 96.348030% restored.

Once I tighten the screw on the rear view mirror it will be 96.349732% restored.

Progress! :) :)

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Oh no. earl shieb now has a paint system that dries quicker. It's in by 9, and out by lunch!
I just redid an earl job for a guy. It would have been nice if they would have removed the windshield wipers before they taped up the windshield. Of course, permanent window tint is nice.

· Registered
521 Posts
We used a rotisserie to restore the cars to like new condition and did not take the "frame off".

· Registered
521 Posts
John, Will that make it ready for Autorama?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.