Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I repaired some rust at the bottom of one of my doors, and its now in primer, and area about 2" high x 8" long (typical rust patch).

Now, i'm going to get paint matched and do a DIY job. I just want it to be "OK", not a pro job.

Now i experienced this problem with the primer: having securly sealed off the edges with application tape, and then sprayed it, there was still a thin paint build-up at the edges where the primer met the paint. Now, the primer was sanded down to proper level, but how do i do that when it's painted??

Also, whats the best way to 'blend' it into the rest of the panel? I've never used a buffer wheel but hear they do the job well (?)

Any suggestions or ideas welcomed!

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
933 Posts
I assume you are going to use a single stage paint as opposed to a base coat/clear coat.
IMO, instead of priming to the tape line you should have moved the tape line a couple of inches up on the door panel. This would have eliminated any buildup while preventing any further overspray on the rest of the door. No matter how well you believe you have sanded the "ridge" at the tape line it will still probably show after painting. Blending in the new paint is pretty much as I described for the primer. You will probably be able to see where the repair was done but you are not looking for perfection. Paint the area and buff. Go easy with the buffing so as not to cut through the paint.

Scott

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Like Scottstang said, tape further than the repair. Then after the paint has dried in a few days wetsand the overspray area with 600 then 2000 sandpaper. Then buff using a finishing polish.
If you spray up to the tape line you will have a hard time sanding the tape line away without going thru the paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts