Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lookin for a place to paint SMBWO's 69 coupe. I have a pro body guy doing all the prep work so all I need is the finish work. I got a quote today for 5K to just spray the paint and cut and rub it. I also got one for $2500 for the same thing. What has anyone got for the same thing? Also has anyone used House of Kolor paint, one of the places I went to looked at me like I was leper when I mentioned HOK. Is their stuff bad or what?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
ok, I'll try to answer your questions in order. First, however, we have to define what it is exactly that you are getting bids on (imprecise description would account for the vast difference in pricing). First, what is it exactly that your body shop friend is doing? Is he merely straightening panels, fixing rust, and smoothing? leaving the body work "in the raw"? Is her priming over anything? If so, what kind of primer and how many coats? What about a sealer? See, one place might think you are handing them a car that only requires basecoat/clear coat and another might be thinking they will get the car with an epoxy primer and a sealer coat, leaving it to them to shoot 3 coats or so of primer/surfacer, then block sand, before shooting the base coat clear coat. These two approaches are separated by a vast gulf of time and materials. Thus, I suspect the difference in the prices are due to different perceptions of each source as to the work you are asking them to do. Remember, the single greatest contribution to the success or failure of a paint job is the preparation before hand. The difference between a good paint job and a great paint job could be in a couple extra applications of primer sealer, guide coat, and block sanding twice or three times, instead of once or not at all.

The body shop that rented me their spray booth said that they would be charging a minimum of $5,000 for the green pearl coat and clear coat, plus cut and rub, that I did. That's $5,000 without any block sanding or application of primer! Just 3 coats of base and 4 coats of clear! About 5 years ago I was given estimates of between $10,000 and $15,000 to paint my stang.

House of Kolor - ok this is a paint manufacturer that really became well known based on its candy colors - such as candy apple red, back in the day of exotic paint jobs, flames, etc., on hot rods. House of Kolor is thought of as more of the exotic show car type paints - pearls, candies, etc. Mostly custom work.

For paint jobs that are designed to replicate the factory appearance, or to even step up a notch or two in terms of effects (pearls, flip-flops), the standard paints used are PPG, DuPont, Sikkens, and Spees-Hoecker. These are your top of the line mass production paints. Bump shops that do a lot of insurance work might use Sherwin Williams, Nacin or some other regionally made paint. The advantage of PPG, et al., is that they have great tech support and you can pretty much match your paint anywhere in the country if you have to affect a repair down the road. I am paying around $280 a gallon for my base coat, $175 a gallon for clear, around $150 a gallon for the primers, plus about the same amount again for reducers and hardeners. Primer/base coat/clear coat and misc. materials ran me around $1,700, using PPG products.

Just a few thoughts to get you started.

good luck. :)

As for the cut and rub - I spent about 60 hours or more doing that alone. Now if that was a shop charging $45 an hour, that would be $2,700 just for that!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I agreed with what you where saying , but paint job cost can be serveral $100.00 differance from one stae to the next and also how busy the body shop is or other factors.
I have my car at a new paint / body shop and he needed work as he was new, he has an excellant reputation and wanted to get the word out , so he gave me a very resonable price for a completely stripped car ( down to bare metal ) and totaly repaint with 3 coats of clear and sanded out for $ 2800- $3000. I was told this is normaly close to a $5000. paint job ?
But I have heard of several places that are doing repaints for $2500- $2800.
I think doing some referance check would be very helpfull before anything happens.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
The capt. Amer car is in the shop as I type...It was at one shop that wanted 2500 to strip, and prep and paint...We found rust and other things at his shop happened so I moved the car....The new shop wants 4000 to do the job...I feel lucky as the car is in boxes now and the floors are being replaced...

It all depends on the shop and the amount of who would of thought about thats that are found...

I have been quoted 3000 to 5000 just to "Scuff and buff" and paint my excursion. I think I will plan for about 8000...This way my wife will be happy with the job....

My .02 worth...

Mel ::

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well I feel great now knowing that I am getting all the rust cut out and new panels, all body work and bc/cc color change for $4000 plus parts. Figure about $6000 in it with parts including all new chrome. Of course he is going to have it a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have been using nothing but House of Kolor paints lately so if you decide to go that route, PM me as there is a place in El Paso, TX that undercuts EVERYONE on HOK prices. It is great paint (bc/cc) but does require some degree of knowing how to shoot it properly....

as far as costs go - with a paint job, i go more by the painter's reputation more than anything else. I would get referrals from ANY painter you are dealing with - if he is unwilling to give out that info, walk away. Proof is in the pudding. I have seen many people screwed over by promises from supposedly reputable paint shops and at the same time have seen some really nice paint jobs come out of places you wouldnt let your dog walk through. Get referrals and talk to the people and see what they say....

randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts