Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, my car has zero automotive paint on it right now. my plan is to paint all the door jambs, under the fenders, etc and assemble the car. i'm going to have someone else paint the actual body of the car because i'm not good enough, nor do i have good enough tools.

anyways, as some of you may have read yesterday, i have a dupont base/clear paint system. i was planning on painting and clearing everything that you don't see when the doors/trunk are closed, and the body is completly assembled. well my dad thinks that i should only paint the first stage on the door jambs, and let the painter paint a coat over that, and than clear it all. i personaly think that is the stupidest thing i've ever heard, because inevitably a large amount of stuff is going to be missed, since you just can't get everything when the fenders and doors are on the car. he, however, was totaly flipping out because hes woried about the paint not matching between the door jambs and the body or something...

anyways, whos right here? i personaly have never heard of anyone painting the door jambs at the same time they spray the body of the car... it would seem to me that would just create one more opertunity for dust and debris to get in the paint.

thanks for your suggestions

- Jason

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think I'd stick with your original plan.

You might want to check with the body shop that will be doing the work for you. That will take all the argument out of it!

·
Registered
580 Posts
In the body shop business painting the jambs first is known as "cutting it in". When crash parts are installed the "jambs" are cut in first. The only good way to paint the jambs with the whole car is to paint it apart. Go ahead and shoot all the hidden areas fully. They should be masked off during the painting process. A slight color miss match will not show up.

Lstar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well....normally you paint the door jambs, trunk edge, and all the other hard to reach areas FIRST since they don't get as much wear and tear as the exterior and you would then be able to paint the entire exterior surface of the car with no interruption of opening doors, trunk, etc.

ManiacDave

·
Registered
881 Posts
Personally I think you should show your dad a little more respect and not call his idea stupid. Even though you may not agree with it that doesn't make it a stupid idea, just his opinion. :)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
my dad thinks that i should only paint the first stage on the door jambs, and let the painter paint a coat over that, and than clear it all.
No can do. Once you shoot the base coat, you've got about 12 hours to shoot the clear. The 2 different materials of the base and clear coats have a chemical reaction and bond together. If you let the base cure too long, you'll have to sand it back off and re-shoot it.

How expensive of a paint job are you getting? If you're going for a daily driver type quality, they're not going to be spending a lot of time taping, and you're going to have overspray in the jambs. Most won't be noticeable, but some might. I'd be inclined to deliver to the body shop and say shoot the cars, underside of the hood, door jambs, and underside of the trunk (in fact that's what I did with my '66 ... it cost $50 extra ;)).

When I've shot the cars myself and done the door jambs, I'll tape off the car so that I can open the doors and still have the openings masked (and the engine bay). Then I cut in the jambs, the underside of the hood/decklid, then go right at painting the car so that it all comes out the same color.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
What Larry Starkey said.

not to worry about a bodyshop blowing paint into the jambs. do this... it's a convertible, right? so, paint all the door jambs, and everything, THEN wetsand the body. Proper steps here... wetsand all jambs and edge, then paint the jambs and all those places, THEN wetsand the body. When you wetsand the jambs, go about 1/2" out of the jamb onto the body, then when you trim it in, you will be painting teh very edge of the panel, and not just the jamb. So, after wetsanding the body, you should be feathering in the jamb paint with the primer, so there isn't a hard edge. Also, doing it this way prevents you from having to mask off everything, infact, any overspray you get, just becomes more guidecoat. :)

ok, so you have the body wetsanded, everything is trimmed in (or cut in) now... Go to your paint store, and get some foam rope. ask for 3M jamb masking rope. they will present you with a large roll of expensive white foam. all you have to do is put it around teh edges of the trunk, hood, doors, and shut them. this will instantly mask everything off and give you a decent clean edge. I say decent, because it isn't as good as backmasking with 2 inch tape, but it does a reasonably good job, compared to getting your car back with a bunch of dry spray in teh jambs. inform teh shop they will have to jump over the door to get it, or else, leave teh masking off the driver's door (this is in case someone does have to get in the car to steer or drive, not sure of the condition of the car) and give the shop enough masking to do the driver's door, or have them use their own foam rope. if they are a high production shop, they probably use teh stuff. it's the fastest way to save time on masking.

so, good luck, and tell your dad, if he has any questions, he can contact me, PM me and I will send you a phone number. trust the pros, we are here to help. (or are we? MUAHAHAHAHA)

::

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much guys. John68, i just say, you have no idea how much help you have been to me... you've responded to almost all of my body work posts with exactily the information i need every time, and you always make sure you explan yourself well. you're really a huge wealth of knolage.

by the way guys, its my project not a "father son" project. my dad and I are exactily like paul Sr. and Jr. from american chopper, so you could understand why a joint effort would not work, lol.

thanks again to everyone, i really apreciate it

- Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts