Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a home paint job, trying to plan the next couple stages. The car is probably going to get stripes (it is a coupe). The first thing is, where can i get dimensions for the stripes and will they work ok on the coupe. The other issue is, the car will be apart, fenders, hood, apron and rear bumper painted seperatly (rear bumper is glass and getting stripes also) Should I put the car thogether and lay the stripes the ntake apart ans paintt and re-install, or paint the solid main color and lay out stripe when the car is together, this might require sanding the stripe area to get adhesion(BC/CC paint job) I'm sure someone has done this and will have some good idea's!!! I'm thinking red with silver/grey stripes (may change my mind on that)

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
If the stripes are running over multiple bits (bumper, hood, roof, trunk, etc) then do them after the car is together. If done bit by bit they will never line up right without a big effort.

My painter did a TransAm Mustang here in Brisbane and told me the stripes were very hard to get right, even with the car together. 2c worth.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would agree with "Dalorzorf" no way unless it was assembled.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Seems that painting the stripes with the car apart would be a real pain to get lined up.
Here's the specs on the stripes.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek/stripes.htm
And they will work just fine on a Coupe.
This is what I would do....
Paint the car apart, then put together & wetsand the whole car with 1000 grit. This will take out orangepeel & trash. Then tape up the car a shoot the stripes then one good coat of clear over the whole car. This will make a real shiny & smooth paint job. I've done it many times with great results!
This may seem like a lot of work but it works really well & will make your paint job look really nice.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Like the other guys said, paint the car apart then put it together and do the stripes. If you do not want an edge on the transition between the colors, you are going to need to reclear at least the panels that get the stripes. The hood, roof, trunk, and both valances will need to be wetsanded and recleared after laying down the stripes. Oh, and the bad news is the roof includes both quarters, unless you want to do clear blends which I do not recommend. You could even get away with sanding with 600 to speed up the process.

Lstar

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did my stripes on the hood, deck lid, and valances off the car and everything came out very nice. I measured everything off of the centerline of each part and took care to align the parts to the center when I assembled the car. My stripes are wider than the standard ones because I wanted them to match the cowl openings. Good luck!

Randy

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
The stripes on my fastback were painted with the car completely apart. It's not that hard to do, just be careful with your measurements and take your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts