Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used set of styled steel wheels for my '64.5 coupe today from VMFer Blkstlln. There were a few chips in the paint around the lug nuts so I want to touch it up. I bought a set of paint specifically for them, but its not adhering to the wheels it just bubbles up.

It didn't appear that there was originally any primer put down before the argent paint...any recommendations?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are you stripping off the old paint first? If not could be paint incompatibility. I have never used primer on styled steel wheel inserts. Some good wax and grease remover from a automotive paint supplier should clean them enough for paint adhesion. likely some oil or wax is causing it to bubble.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You might try a fine mist of paint each time, let mostly dry (several minutes), and build it up VERY slowly with about 6-8 applications. This will allow the paint to adhere without lifting.
Daniel

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I left the original paint on and tried cleaning it before I sprayed the new stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
I assume you are seeing fish-eye. The problem is that someone probably used Armor-All or some tire products and it got on the wheel. Use some dishwashing detergent and scrub them. Then clean with a solvent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts