Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spent a three day weekend painting the engine compartment a flat black color- VHT engine enamel. Just took my time and performed several engine cleaner degreaser spray downs with pressured spray. Removed all of the components on the battery side. I used soap and water and scratch pad, and lightly sanded the exposed areas with 200 grit. Experienced no orange peel when painting. Protecting the headers on both sides was the most difficult due to the limited clearance. For me the protection of the exterior paint and masking the engine components was most important and took my time. Sprayed 1.5 cans in two coats. I was fortunate to find the battery storage area clean and found the lower frame the greasiest. All in All, a marked improvement for only $20-30 bucks in supplies and 16 hours of labor.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did mine the hard way... While doing the engine and tranny, I ripped out all the wiring, etc and sanded every nook and cranny. Yours looks awesome, better than mine looks now!

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
Excellent! A weekend engine bay transformation is one of my favorite things. Well done!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well done! Here's a tip for anyone else embarking on such a project...
Aluminum foil works GREAT for masking things such as export braces, wiring harnesses, fuel lines, etc. Merely wrap and squeeze, then use the blue masking tape at the edges where you need a nice tight seal to an adjoining surface. Saves a LOT of time.

Anyway, your engine compartment looks fantastic!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts