Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have no idea on what color my car will end up, I am rebuilding the underside this winter/spring and have no plans other than a few primer spots for the outer bodywork for this year. I think the underside will just be some sorta Red Oxide Epoxy primer.

But, I have the fenders off for toe board work and suspension changes so I am cleaning them up and repainting the frame and aprons and I am really wanting opinions on what to use.

I have a pint of the KBS rust seal in gloss black, it works great for inner body areas but I am concerned that it will be to "Glossy" and not look right on the car (not that anyone will really see it) but, it will really let any mung slide off since it is so shiny. I could go and get some of the semi-gloss, but to shop that sells it told me they are both pretty shiny so he does not even carry the semigloss in stock.

What is a good way to go on a 65?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Seriously? Tell me you didn't do that? For this application I would think a hard durable surface is key.
What's the big deal? I do inside my front and rear fender area's with rattle can black. I add a top coat every couple of years when I scrape all the rubber out ;). It looks good, no one really sees into this area in any detail. If you use fancy paint/expensive paint its gonna get just a beat up and chipped. :shrug:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm doing the suspension right now as well. I plan to use Rustoleum truck bed liner (spray can) over POR-15.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if I can "Flatten" the gloss from the KBS that I already have? The rear will have a sound reducer like a rubber coat over paint, but the front will not have any "Goo", I HATE goo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the idea of using bedliner material so long as it is coated over with a nice coat of deltron semigloss paint. Durability is key here and the bedliner will remove the sheetmetal twanginess.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Rusty, how did you spray that stuff? Did it take a special gun?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It comes in rattle cans. I have something very similar for my undercarriage, and wheel wells.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I forms a good seal from elements, rubberized reduces chipping from rocks getting kicked up, and it's flat black. It also comes in rattlecans, so if you don't have spray equipment you don't need to get it. Those were my points of rationale.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'll have to add in that for touch-up work like you seem to be doing, I see no reason why a rattle-can can't do the job? :shrug:It's all in the prep and application.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, but I know rattle can paint and have used it at great lengths in the past on motorcycle parts. The reality is that it contains no hardener, and if you try to paint over top of it in the future with a serious paint that has hardener in it the undercoat (spray paint) can often lift.

Add in that you cannot get any real mils of thickness from a rattle can. I dont plan on going back and touching up for several years, just cleaning.

That SPI Bedliner looks like a good option, made from serious stuff. Fluffy for sound and hard enough to not chip, even if it goes on thin enough to show the factory welds and seams.

·
Registered
503 Posts
most of the new semi's are too glossy not the same paint of 3-4 years ago.take a look at flat colors,they are glossier and come close to the old 1613.its tough for a rattler,if you find one , remember it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts