Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my C4 tranny, body was given to sand blasting guy, who did very good job. He used sand and then glass for blasting it, so it looks almost like a new one:

Question is how to protect it ?
He also tried to powder painting on one C4 cover, but it was not looking good. During the heat this alu produced some gas which destroy painting surface (it has bubbles). Does it a sense to paint some heat resistant grey colour ?
OR just leave it.
Does somebody has experience on renewed body after few years ?

I don't want to have same view again:

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
I painted one with clear ceramic manifold paint so that it would stay looking natural... and clean. It looks good, and probably works, although I haven’t put a ton of miles or leaked a lot of oil on it! Lol the rest I just clean well and shove em in.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Aluminum color paint works pretty well.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I bead blasted my AOD case before it was rebuilt and the used a rattle can of clear acrylic spray on it.
I will not use sand media on aluminum, it leaves a very rough surface that is a dirt magnet.

Reactions: Israel

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,660 Posts
If you want it bright silver looking like it is now then paint like Alumablast is what you want. Local parts stores have silver wheel paint looks very good too.
If you want it to be a more naturally aged gray color than clear does that instantly, like the AOD just above. Whatever you use it will start peeling or flaking off at some point. Thus I've gone to using clear lately myself. It's not as bright and pretty initially but you can't beat it for long lasting looks.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I am rebuilding my C4 tranny, body was given to sand blasting guy, who did very good job. He used sand and then glass for blasting it, so it looks almost like a new one:
View attachment 755814

Question is how to protect it ?
He also tried to powder painting on one C4 cover, but it was not looking good. During the heat this alu produced some gas which destroy painting surface (it has bubbles). Does it a sense to paint some heat resistant grey colour ?
OR just leave it.
Does somebody has experience on renewed body after few years ?

I don't want to have same view again:
View attachment 755815
With used metal, especially aluminum the part needs to be heated to 400º for 30 minutes. This will cook the oil residue out of the aluminum. After the part is cooled, wash it in acetone or lacquer thinner and allow it to dry before powder coating. Especially dirty or oil soaked parts may have to be re treated to the cleaning process before powder coating.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I guess I will give the dissenting opinion. I was told years ago not to paint automatic transmissions.
The old trans guy telling me this indicated that WHEN (not IF) the rattle can paint came off it would manage
to migrate to all the places you don't want paint chips to go.
I took this to mean chips would get inside during the rebuild process, regardless of how careful / clean
the rebuild process was.

Take or leave the advice.....

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
How would they get inside?
I was thinking the same thing but apparently even the most careful rebuilder can have small particles migrate inside during the rebuild.
I don't rebuild automatic transmissions but I have seen dirt migration into other items being rebuilt that "should never have happened."

Both SKF and NTN have a wheel hub exchange program with the NASCAR teams. I can't speak for SKF but those things are literally
worked on in a aerospace clean room when we do them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts