Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painting Truths

1. The one hanger you put in the otherwise beautiful clearcoat will be right on the driver's door in plain view.

2. Yellow gnats are attracted to dark paint - black gnats are attracted to light paint. It's in their contracts.

3. Never paint in Indiana or anywhere else in the Midwest after 8 pm unless you want the above flying animal kingdom to land in your paint. A booth won't help.

4. If you follow the mfg. directions EXACTLY you get a nice wrinkle finish that matches your Cobra valve covers.

5. Never loan your primer gun to somebody else. It comes back clogged and useless and you end up priming the car with your touchup gun.

6. Likewise, never mix your base and clear guns, cause you get that nice Candy Apple Red splotch right in the middle of your Acapulco Blue car you've just base coated.

7. No matter how careful you are your assistant will find a way to drag the airline along the body somewhere. Give up hope.

8. No matter how much friends ask you to do them a favor and paint their car as cheap and fast as possible - say no. Those jobs ALWAYS take twice as long and they knit pick it to death.

9. No matter how expensive a respirator you have, you're going on a nice halucinagenic trip. Sit back and enjoy the ride, man!

10. No matter how much you explain that your elbows hurt because you've been wet sanding a car, your friends will accuse you of causing these injuries through other more private means. Just go ahead and lie and tell them your wife's out of town.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll be painting my car soon enough. Can't wait to experence that nice halucinagenic trip! I might paint my whole family's cars if it's good!

G

·
Regardless of the temperature you will always have a big drop of sweat drip off your forehead into the middle of the hood during your last coat of clear.

your paint cup will always run dry with 1 corner of the car left to cover.

once youve used up all your material you remember the small piece on the sawhorse outside the booth that needs paint too.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
He's just north of you in Crawfordsville. Click on his nickname, then click on his URL, then remove the http:// from his url (it's in there twice.) and you'll see his address.
D

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, Crawfordsville, Indiana, home of Ben Hur and.... well Ben Hur. I'll be the MC at this weekends Indianapolis Mustang show and Swap. Stop by and say hello!

Dave

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Although I didn't have such a wild ride when painting the race car 20 years ago with StarMax, I can appreciate the frustration *G*

Just a tip for VMF wanna-be painters...forego the Xy-Tol (and other chemical) hallucinations and get the proper filters and pre-filters and wear the respirator from the moment you get near the painting area till well after you have removed your painting suit and gloves (Tyvek ag pesticide suits work pretty well, I've heard)....rinsing off wth fresh water isn't a bad idea either, before removing the respirator, as cross-contamination from hands toching paint residues on protective clothing can cause problems as well for sensitive folks.

My experiences painting with StarMax left me with a hefty steroid perscription and a lifetime sensitivity to many VOC's...I now should (but don't always) wear a respirator around chemicals, even brake clean and carb clean. The reaction I had to the Xy-Tol is an experience I wouldn't wish upon anyone...yuk! *G* No reflection on RM paints...my ignorance about comprehesive protection and lack of knowledge of my own sensitivity were completely to blame.

Happy painting!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just before a mosquito dies in the clear coat i gets a burst of energy an dose 100x more damagein its final second of life

1 - 12 of 12 Posts