Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed on vm that alot of guys are painting their cars themselves. Just wondering if most are renting booths or shooting paint in their garages. I've painted only one vehicle before and said never again. Most auto finishes are toxic and need fresh air respirators not simple dual cartridge filters. Also, are you guys using hvlp paint guns or high pressure guns.

G

·
0 Posts
im using an hvlp gun. this is my first car though, i havent gotten to the top coat but so far my little wimpy mask is doing fine. i finally learned how to prime good!! hehe. took a while. took most of the car down to bare metal. i wont say ill never do it again. but if i do paint another car i will NOT take it all the way down again. i was just asking for trouble and i got it. but its a learning experience i guess.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I've painted several cars in my garage (and one in my apartment complex parking lot many, many years ago). All the past ones were done with lacquer. My current '66 coupe, while shot in my garage as well, I painted with a BC/CC. Most of the car was shot with a conventional gun, but I bought a HVLP gun that we used to shoot the fiberglass hood with afterwards. An HVLP with gravity feed is definately the best way to go.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
A semi-local college near me has a paint shop class. If you take the course you have full run of the place and even can use their booth that has this furnace that can make the temp in the room go up a deg a sec. All this for 35 bucks. Maybe they have something up in canada where you are. HVLP is the way but siphon works fine, just more work. The dual cartridge filters are generally what are used (high quality ones, 3M makes an excellent low cost one, paint shops will sell these).

G

·
0 Posts
i find painting cars to be highly addictive. i can't wait to do the next one.

as for booths... well, my buddy and I put up a 2x4 frame booth with heavy plastic sheeting all around. then, we put furnace filters on one end and a fan on the other to suck the fog out. also, we wet the floor to minimize dust.

last one turned out pretty good, but we're thinking maybe it would be better to just rent a paint booth next time.

the disposable masks that 3M sells are perfectly fine for spraying even the deadliest paints. my friend who runs a Ford bodyshop uses these daily.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've shot some in the garage. And I'm not so sure about needing supplied air in place of respirators. When I started trying to decide what gun to buy, I hit every body shop in the area. None of them used supplied air mask and they paint everyday. Just buy a new respirator for the job and make sure you can ventilate the booth well. Where I live I can still get lacquer and although people love to talk about how urethane laast longer I still use it because I know I can make a great looking finish with it. I've got a total paint comming up(66 coupe) and I might step up to urethane, but I haven't decided yet. Lacquer is cheaper and it's like an old friend to me. And I'm in no hurry, so I can take my time.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129086&Sequence=6&res=high.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

G

·
0 Posts
Built a frame behind the barn covered with plastic for ours.
Used a conventional gravity cup gun cause I can control it
better,( read in I don't drag it on the car) and also because my
compressor is too low on cfm for hvlp. As for a mask, use
what you feel safe using.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

1 - 7 of 7 Posts