Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am painting my interior quarters on my 72 what should i use to take the paint off prep it and then paint it???

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Unless they've been painted before, there shouldn't be any paint to take off... When I painted mine, I cleaned them up REALLY good, started w/ kerosene and ended up w/ clean water, then I sprayed them w/ Krylon Satin Black and polished the chrome trim around the top. Came out real nice.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i mean there not liek vinyl or anything there liek plastic or metal the original paint is flaking off what about paint thinner or something
???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ours had some rust and flaked off paint so we stripped them
with aircraft stripper and steel wool, washed with water,
prep wash, a thin coat of single stage etching primer for
adhesion, then topcoated.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The big plastic interior 1/4 panels you see when you look in the backseat, thats what we're talking about, right? If they have paint flaking off, they've been painted in the past, the 71-73 panels were made using plastic that was the color of the interior (at least both sets I've experienced have been). But, to take the paint off I wouldn't use any kind of strong chemical stripper, might eat through the plasitic. I would try some very fine steel wool or something first, then when I got mad enough because that didn't work I'd go to something harsher /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Good luck!
BTW, if you don't already have them out of the car, do it, much easier that way.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts