Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Analysis of the '66 vert suggests...doors - poor, quarters - poor, fenders - so so (with some work), hood and trunk lid - good
Getting near time to acquire panels and was wondering:
1. Who carries the best repro panels and door shells?

2.How do the repro doors, fenders and quarters line up/match and are they better if you stick to the same manufacturer?

3.Can you get Ford Tooling quarters or door shells?

and lastly
4. Is there any use going for the Ford Tooling fenders if you use the repro door shells?

Any comments/or info of past experience is welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
Best repro panels are usually Dynacorn.

No repro parts I've dealt with fit well, each one requires a bit of work.

I have never seen Ford tooling quarters or door shells.

Ford tooling parts have always fit better than repro parts, even if you are using other repro parts on the car. It's kinda like baking chocolate chip cookies, even if you use the off brand eggs, you still should use Nestle or Toll House chocolate chips.

Buying body parts is best if you can find someone nearest you or who offers free shipping. Truck freight or UPS oversize will get expensive, quickly.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I've never seen a repop 65-66 door shell that was worth a crap. The ford tooling fenders look nice, and are supposed to have a great fit as long as you can handle the price.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I bought a 68 door from Dynacorn, the fit is impressive. If you have a local dealer then you could save shipping charges by using local pick up.

If I were replacing many panels, I think Dynacorn would be my choice from what I've seen. The door was actually a little cheaper than those sold by NPD and MU.

Check their website for a catalog. You'll have to call a dealer for prices though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
I used the Dynacorn taillight panel and core support and they seemed to be of pretty good quality. We've got distributors for them around here so freight shouldn't be a problem. I spoke with a guy today who's using them on his '69 and he's quite pleased with them. But then he's a Dynacorn dealer so what would I expect. I think I'll try the all Dynacorn look from the headlight doors to the quarter extensions...no mixing it up with the wrinkly pieces with only chinese writing on them.

Jim

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Seems like the early repro doors are crap. I've heard a lot of good comments about the 67-68 doors. I have a friend restomodding a 66 vert. The repop doors suck, the original tooling fenders are OK, the repop quarters are borderline, and the repop original tooling hood looks OK. Trying to get all this to line up nice is a challenge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, Sounds like they put most of their effort into Eleanor. I've heard that the texturing is a bit off on some repops.
Well, I don't have a lot of choice with my rusty bottomed, stress cracked door units. I'll look at some before I go too far.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
136 Posts
66DavesGT said:
Seems like the early repro doors are crap. I've heard a lot of good comments about the 67-68 doors. I have a friend restomodding a 66 vert. The repop doors suck, the original tooling fenders are OK, the repop quarters are borderline, and the repop original tooling hood looks OK. Trying to get all this to line up nice is a challenge.
I've never done this before, so here goes:

+1. This is exactly correct for 64-66 cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts