Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a little more tweaking to do but below is a pics where I used welding rods to fill in gaps on door. First time I have ever done this. At first kind of proud of myself :). I thought I was careful doing it in small chunks and letting cool to minimize warpage. Although not obvious in pictures there is clearly some warping about an inch from the edge all the way down where I welded the rod in.

Im not a body guy at all - only large sheet metal stuff or plug welding quarter on - etc. Have not done any filler work or painting (other than primer) in past. Just wanted to give car to painter with gaps done. I was wondering if filler can clean up warpage or is this to close to handle and have a potential to crack filler down the road. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,108 Posts
My advice is to leave it as is. Rather than risk over working the metal, leave it for your body guy. Trust me on that one. Btw, when welding on edges like that I cool it with a blow gun as I go. No issues warping.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood about filler on edges that is why I used the welding rod. I should have used the blow gun. I seen that in a video i was using to see how to do this and blew it off (no pun intended) :)

I am planning to leave for body guy but was just wondering if this is a big job for them. I could get another door and try again (using blow gun of course) or have body shop do it. I just don't want somebody charging me for a bunch of hours trying to fix what I did where it may be better to start over with another door.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,108 Posts
You are talking about that dulled area? Piece of cake for a bodyman. Some things are better off being left for the shop doing the work though because it will be added to your final bill. Nothing wrong with trying but if you don't get it right, in the end it will cost you $$

1 - 6 of 6 Posts