Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here thought it would be best in the track section. Right now my suspension is kyb gas adjustable up fronts and in the rear with the Shelby drop and 620 springs. 5 leaf mideye in the back. Big 1 1/8th sway bar up front and a Monte Carlo bar and export brace. I have an 8.8 in the rear of mine going to make a pan hard rod while my motor is getting bored out since my 5.0 blew up. I have a 408 striker gonna put together this time. My main question was with a pan hard bar would it be better to run the rear sway bar. I know that the rear sway bars are sketchy to say the least. I was wondering if a panhard bar would help the snap oversteer and if anybody on here runs a panhard rod and a rear sway bar. Thanks for the help.also going to get some roller perches and Bilstein shocks and In the near future

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree, panhard is all you need. Get a panhard with some adjustability so you can adjust rear roll center.
Thanks for the replies saw your car at cmp a couple months ago it sounded strong and looked good might have the pleasure of going out on track with ya one day.

·
Registered
870 Posts
A professional racer / company recommended to me this setup.. lighter spring rate, very big sway bar up front, small adjustable sway bar in the rear and obviously use watts or panhard. Need to consider that the springs jobs are only to support the weight of the car. Myth is that heavier springs enhance your suspension. Infact they do the opposite by making it harder for the shocks & swaybars to do their job, it reduces the effectiveness of the shock. All you need is enough spring pressure to hold the car weight. you tune the sway bars to do the rest. You end up with a suspension that works well together.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
A professional racer / company recommended to me this setup.. lighter spring rate, very big sway bar up front, small adjustable sway bar in the rear and obviously use watts or panhard. Need to consider that the springs jobs are only to support the weight of the car. Myth is that heavier springs enhance your suspension. Infact they do the opposite by making it harder for the shocks & swaybars to do their job, it reduces the effectiveness of the shock. All you need is enough spring pressure to hold the car weight. you tune the sway bars to do the rest. You end up with a suspension that works well together.
I’d agree with the comment on springs; the trend is towards springing the car softer and using the dampening to control the cars attitude. The Panhard too has progressed over the years, and does often get used when modifying major components of the rear; to be effective it should be adjustable. I’ve found the Watts Link to be such a simple and effective device I’m not sure why people don’t use it more, especially when the rest of the usual components of the rear are kept.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Most people who say not to use a rear sway bar run a 1" front bar, with the 1 1/8" Front it may be a better match, but that will depend on your overall rear roll stiffness ( Leaf spring rate and PHB height).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for the replies saw your car at cmp a couple months ago it sounded strong and looked good might have the pleasure of going out on track with ya one day.
Stop by. We are normally at the same spot ant CMP and would be glad to take you out on track.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I’d agree with the comment on springs; the trend is towards springing the car softer and using the dampening to control the cars attitude. The Panhard too has progressed over the years, and does often get used when modifying major components of the rear; to be effective it should be adjustable. I’ve found the Watts Link to be such a simple and effective device I’m not sure why people don’t use it more, especially when the rest of the usual components of the rear are kept.
cost is the main reason im betting. i tried building a adjustable style panhard on my custom 3 link, no way was i getting a long panhard link to package with my coilover brackets. i was forced to make a custom watts link. just articulating the suspension without the rear coilovers bolted in, it is smooth as butter any angle no binding or housing side to side movement. in the end im happy i had to go that route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts