Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me a easy process to adjust the parking brake. I need to do this myself without a second person.

At the moment I can not even pull my parking brake handle to any ratch position. I have check the cables and it is not binding anywhere. It just seems that the cables or the brake shoes are just to tight before I even try to pull the handle.

I do not think the shoes are to tight because I have no brake drag in the back wheels

I just need the correct process to adjust the parking brake.

G

·
0 Posts
Something sounds wrong. Have you tried to apply the parking brake while driving to see if it applies the brakes? If the brakes do not apply the parking brake assembly is broke or there is a cable problem. If they do apply then adjust the cable tension under the car it is off the top of my head a 1/2 or 9/16 bolt that needs to be turned to loosen the cable tension. Good luck and let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
This happens a lot when somebody adjusts the e-brake cable before adjusting the rear brakes. Then after replacing or just adjusting the rear brakes the cable now has no slack. Try loosening up the cable as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
have procedure from my '68 Shop Manual i can scan and e-mail you. PM me if you want it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have that process. I was hoping someone had a better procedure.

Thanks anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts