Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put an Explorer driveshaft in my 65, which is a bit larger in diameter that the stock driveshaft. Yesterday, while under the car looking for a place to put an O2 sensor on my exhaust, I noticed that there are a couple of shiny spots on the driveshaft yoke where the parking brake cable is rubbing up against it. I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing to be happening. You can see them in the two areas I circled in yellow. Can I spread apart the parking brake equalizer (in red) to get the necessary clearance to keep this from continuing? My concern is that I can probably spread it apart, but will it close up again over time? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
I think you could make a custom piece, maybe even tubular, that wouldn't just close back up.

Reactions: Caper50

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It looks like you don't have a lot of engagement on the yoke.
Maybe try flipping the horseshoe over, to get the cable away from the centre of the driveshaft.

·
Registered
834 Posts
In my case with a 3.5" diameter driveshaft and twin 3.5" exhaust I decided to bend the moveable lever that mounts in the transmission crossmember. It does not look as straight as the original but it gets the job done (even when I used the parking brake.)

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my case with a 3.5" diameter driveshaft and twin 3.5" exhaust I decided to bend the moveable lever that mounts in the transmission crossmember. It does not look as straight as the original but it gets the job done (even when I used the parking brake.)
I'm assuming you bent the lever downwards to clear the driveshaft and yoke.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm assuming you bent the lever downwards to clear the driveshaft and yoke.
Opps . . . .I just remembered that my cables are held lower by a drive shaft loop just behind the driveshaft yoke. The loop creates the clearance needed. The lever was adjusted for a different purpose--so that they wouldn't make contact with the exhaust.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
Strange- You say you have a 65, but that's clearly a 66 cable and equalizer. If the adjuster rod is on the top of the brake lever, flip it to the bottom. Bending the lever slightly could also make a big difference. I have bent the daylights out of those levers to clear Hurst shifters, you should easily be able to make it work for you. Heck, just flipping that equalizer over would be enough.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If it's barely touching the drive shaft perhaps a touch of a metal file. Caveat Emptor!!!

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strange- You say you have a 65, but that's clearly a 66 cable and equalizer.
I had no idea! The car is definitely a 65, and the only things I've replaced in the parking brake system in 40 years were a couple of handles, and the cable from the parking brake handle.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like you don't have a lot of engagement on the yoke.
I've got the driveshaft disconnected and pulled back towards the rear as I work on the exhaust. That's why there's a bit of yoke exposed.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
+1 on the 65 versus 66

I would be more concerned about has the cables been damaged on the PB than polishing the drive shaft.

You could fabricate something as simple as a turnbuckle with one end around the cable and the other to a fixed point and use the threaded shaft to pull the PB cable away from the driveshaft, without putting a lot of lateral force on the cable so it will not slide to tighten.

Also, You actually use the emergency brake? o_O I thought they were just for show.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, You actually use the emergency brake? o_O I thought they were just for show.
Yes, I actually use it. And it does hold the car! I don't know how many times I've tried to get going and the car doesn't go because I forget to release the brake. Especially reverse.

·
Registered
21,329 Posts
Hmmm I have a aluminum Explorer shaft on my 66. I don't recall any issues there. I did with my mufflers though. I was in the middle of resolving this when the poop hit the fan weeks ago

1 - 15 of 15 Posts