Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are parking brake cables different from 65-66? I need new ones and there is only one listed in NPD catalog for 66. Thanks - Chris

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I THINK `65 HAD 2 CABLES AND `66 HAD ONE IF I`M NOT MISTAKEN

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some reason, my car has 2 cables going to the rear drums. I guess the PO did this. Do you think it's better to have 2 cables?

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
When you say two cables, do you mean two completely different cables, or just two ends at the wheels?

The '65 used two separate cables while the '66 used a single cable that goes to both wheels and pulls from the center.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is one cable coming from the actual handle that splits with this "y" type piece of metal. From the "y", 2 cables come out to the wheels. Those are the cables I need. They make them anymore??

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I don't know whether these cables are still sold through channels or not, but if you have the originals or can get someone to measure them properly you can still have them made. The new ones won't be concourse correct tho...

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Sounds similar to the '67 setup... don't know if there is a variation from '66 to '67 though. Do you have a lever mechanism under the driver and a plate under the passenger that acts as a guide to the pass side brake cable?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I recently had an experience with this. For '65 there are two rear brake cables. One coming from each rear wheel and mount to a single equalizer. For '66, there is a one piece cable connected to the two rear wheels. This single cable is connected to the equalizer which is a 'U' shaped piece. On both year models, there is a single cable which goes from the handle to the equalizer. Also, for both year models, the parking brake cable mounts which bolt to the rear floor pan are different as well. None of these items are cheap either!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts