Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm replacing the parking brake cable from the equalizer back.

Any tip or tricks for the install and how do you set/adjust it?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
replace your cables 1st, starting at the drums. Run them forward to the connector at the pivot bar, and snug the nut up. You want just enough tension on the cables so that they're tight, but not engaging the brakes. Make sure your parking brake lever is not pulled- that it's seated full in the 'off' position. When you're done, test it and see how it works. If it doesn't hold the car, snug it up a little and recheck again. Repeat as needed

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have just done this adjustment on my '66 Fastback. I've attached the adjustment procedure out of the Shop Manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
replace your cables 1st, starting at the drums. Run them forward to the connector at the pivot bar, and snug the nut up. You want just enough tension on the cables so that they're tight, but not engaging the brakes. Make sure your parking brake lever is not pulled- that it's seated full in the 'off' position. When you're done, test it and see how it works. If it doesn't hold the car, snug it up a little and recheck again. Repeat as needed

Thanks!

I have just done this adjustment on my '66 Fastback. I've attached the adjustment procedure out of the Shop Manual.

I figured it was in the shop manual.......I'm just feeling lazy and didn't want to read when I get home!:grin2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts