Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have recently installed quick performance9inch rear ended with their disc conversion kit and I am having problem understanding how their brake block pix 2 connects to the brake lever front cable barrel pix 1 . the first picture is the brake lever coming in from under the driver side. I have nothing else in the car, previous owner may have disconnected the original equalize bar, rod etc.
So the brake block supplied from the vendor has a clevis at the end of it, but I am not sure how this connect to the cable with the ball coming from the front. Is this not going to work for my application. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
66 Posts
I'm working a similar situation. I have a '69 - 9" rear end in my '66 mustang. So some places say '66 has a single cable that loops through the equalizer. Other places are like these pictures, 2 separate cables that go to the equalizer. Anyway the single cable from the brake lever with the ball or barrel on the end just fits in the slot labled BK7. It's not a precision fit like you might think, just loop it through the slots. The spring BK-8A pulls it tight, then adjust the nut on BK-5
equalizer.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm working a similar situation. I have a '69 - 9" rear end in my '66 mustang. So some places say '66 has a single cable that loops through the equalizer. Other places are like these pictures, 2 separate cables that go to the equalizer. Anyway the single cable from the brake lever with the ball or barrel on the end just fits in the slot labled BK7. It's not a precision fit like you might think, just loop it through the slots. The spring BK-8A pulls it tight, then adjust the nut on BK-5
equalizer.
View attachment 779303 View attachment 779304
So are you saying because I have 2 lines I need to purchase the BK5 for a 65 to work ? And if so my two cable does not have the ball on either end how am I supposed to fasten it on the bk5.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your picture 1 is the cable from the parking lever under the dash? The fitting at the end of the sheath goes in a bracket on the floor pan with a retainer clip. The ball on the end of the exposed cable fits in the slot on the brake cable equalizer BK-7. The 2 cables (BK 2247) coming from the back brakes, one on each side go into the equalizer BK-5. Your picture 2 must be a part for a type of after-market setup.

Retainer clips

Cables with ball on end that goes in the equalizer BK-5;

You must have a after-market setup something like this;

Someone else will have to help you with the above setup.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your picture 1 is the cable from the parking lever under the dash? The fitting at the end of the sheath goes in a bracket on the floor pan with a retainer clip. The ball on the end of the exposed cable fits in the slot on the brake cable equalizer BK-7. The 2 cables (BK 2247) coming from the back brakes, one on each side go into the equalizer BK-5. Your picture 2 must be a part for a type of after-market setup.

Retainer clips
View attachment 779320

Cables with ball on end that goes in the equalizer BK-5;
View attachment 779322

You must have a after-market setup something like this;
View attachment 779323

Someone else will have to help you with the above setup.
I am following. Picture 1 is the front cable coming from the driver side correct. I have no issue with that. I will purchase the original equalizer sprint and rod and will not be using the setup in pix 2. But my question was the 2 cables provided to me are specific to the rear Disc brake and I want to use them however on the other end where it connects to the BK5 they don’t have a ball or retainer that goes into each groove in the BK5. If I purchase new ones they are compatible with the drum which I don’t have. So can I install two of these ball retainers on each side of the cable to be able to insert them inside BK5

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
the cable with the ball coming from the front.
That curly piece of spaghetti should be traded out for a new one.

So some places say '66 has a single cable that loops through the equalizer. Other places are like these pictures, 2 separate cables that go to the equalizer
65 uses 2 cables and 66 uses 1 big loop of a cable, no matter what you see anywhere else.
Stang love--if your cables are long enough then add balls to them and use the 65 style BK5,if they are not long enough attach a length of cable to both of them and use the 66 style.

·
Registered
66 Posts
C6ZZGT,
I have a 9" from a '69 Mach 1. My body has the mounting brackets welded to the floor pan like those shown on the red car in the picture above. I have a single cable now but for some reason it's to long. It comes from the passenger side and loops through the equalizer then back to the drivers side. A short cable comes out of the driver's side brake and my dad overlapped the cables and used a couple of cable clamps to take up the slack. The emergency brake doesn't work and I was wanting to get it back to the original condition. I'm assuming the '66 cable would work on the '69 rear brakes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I ran into some of the same problems when converting my 66 to four wheel disc brakes. After fighting the under dash stock system and getting it to function mechanically with the disc brake set up; I found it wouldn't furnish enough leverage to do the job. My solution was to get rid of the whole mess and install a Lokar floor mounted handle that works just fine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I ran into some of the same problems when converting my 66 to four wheel disc brakes. After fighting the under dash stock system and getting it to function mechanically with the disc brake set up; I found it wouldn't furnish enough leverage to do the job. My solution was to get rid of the whole mess and install a Lokar floor mounted handle that works just fine.
I did the same, but not sure as I would describe it as "works just fine." I haven't been able to drive the car since I put it in, but with the car on jack stands it won't stop the rear wheels from turning with the engine running and the C4 in gear. I suspect will work OK as a parking brake, but not very well as an emergency brake. The latter is one of the reasons I moved it to the tunnel. The other is the one you cite: rear wheel discs.

I'm thinking that the lever arm on the Lokar handle just isn't long enough to apply as much tension on the cables as the under dash system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts